I saw a TV show last night about the Spirituali movement in 15th century Italy.
In parallel to the outside Protestant movement, It was an attempt by forces
*within* the Catholic Church to both spread the word that intercession isn't
necessary between humans and God, and bring an end to the corruption within the
institution. Michelangelo was caught in the middle of it, and some of his
commissioned art reflects this.

Spoiler Alert: The Spirituali lost. The status quo Cardinal provided evidence
to The Inquisition, which he had revived, that the Cardinal backing the
Spirituali had distributed copies of the Bible in Italian, vs. Latin, and to
*non-clergy* - a serious crime. The good guy "repented", fled to England,
despite ongoing attempts by the Vatican to have him extradited back to Rome,
for "a friendly chat".

So the idea that humans have a direct link to God has been absent from any
western tradition, because of this. Maharishi revived this idea, and ability,
in the West.

He discovered through his own inquiry, that it is the Evening of Kali Yuga, a
time when suffering increases for humanity, leading to the darkest night. He
discovered that the darkness is maintained by Mother Divine to maintain the
cosmic cycle of time. Rather than have the Divine Mother remove the engines of
negativity from the atmosphere, he discovered that each of us is either a
polluter, or purifier, of the atmosphere. Through spreading the technique which
removes any intermediaries between us and the forces of life and death, he has
made it possible for each of us to make that choice for ourselves, what we
choose to be.

Although he has spoken about the descent of Heaven On Earth, he has also spoken
about such a phenomenon being a localized effect, with pockets of strife
continuing across the globe. I don't know whether this was a modification of
his earlier proclamations. Ultimately, though, he puts the responsibility for
any of this Heaven or Hell  right back on each of us.

Even if tomorrow magically became a paradise, most of us wouldn't notice.:-)