--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson  wrote:

> After much thought, I think I would still recommend
> something other than TM for PTSD relief.

As would I, having done a bit of research on PTSD
in the past year. The condition or syndrome known
as post-traumatic stress disorder revolves around
an inability to get over experiences and impressions
from the past, and live in the present, as if these
impressions were no longer a ruling factor.

Nothing I have seen in my over-46-year-experience
with TM suggests to me that it enables people to do
this. To the contrary, I find that most long-term
TMers are more locked into and ruled by impressions
from the past than normal, everyday, non-meditators.

Recent research has shown that there is a one-to-one
link between people displaying neurotic behavior and
their risk of developing PTSD. Neurotic behavior is
defined as "a type of personality behavior in which
people experience high degrees of anxiety in response
to everyday events, and thus tend to overreact to
those ordinary events." That seems to me to be almost
a definition of the long-term cultic TMer, at least
in my experience. How is *cultivating* this behavioral
pattern supposed to help those already victimized
by it?

I personally suspect that PTSD can be best treated
by something that enables its sufferers to be as present
in each present moment as possible, with as few "trigger
points" reminding them of the past as possible. If TM
worked as it was described in its marketing brochures,
it would help to do this. But all one has to do to tell
whether the marketing brochures were telling the truth
or not is to watch what long-term TMers tend to *focus*
on. Is it the present, or the past? I rest my case.