I don't have anything to add to what you posted, Michael, just a
suggestion. Whatever editor/email program/whatever you are using to
write your posts seems to have "smart" (curly) quotes and semi-quotes
turned on. The Yahoo system is obvously unable to process these, and
turns them into the “ and ’ characters you see below. Most
such editors or programs have an option to turn off "smart quotes," even
Microstuft Word, if you are using that. You might consider using such an
option, because your current setup makes your posts difficult to read.
The  characters that show up from place to place are non-breaking
spaces, and I don't know why they appear, unless either you or the
editor in question is adding them manually; almost no one *tries* to
create them.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jackson  wrote:

> My thanks to
> everyone who offered their answers. Since Mike D was the first to
respond I
> will start there, but really I am using all the answers as a
springboard to
> think and write about this:
> So
> from what most of you seem to be saying, you feel he was enlightened
in some
> way, but because his consciousness was housed in a human body, he was
subject
> to flawed human behavior and yet he was still a holy man, or
enlightened.
> Or
> you may feel that he was holy and engaged in Divine activity by
teaching
> meditation, yet not enlightened and therefore his human lies and
deception were
> just part of his human life, sort of like the various Popes who have
guided the
> Catholic church while doing things they officially denounced.
> I began my question with the idea of M’s sexual activity
> because it seems that those who have talked about it (the women and
the skin
> boys) have come forth with some amount of detail, as opposed to some
of the
> financial allegations which are a little lacking in detail (here I
speak of things
> like suitcases across the border rather than the obvious soliciting
funds for
> projects that never materialized that everyone could see)
>
> I agree with Navashok that it does make a difference that Maharishi
> preached celibacy to others and as head of a movement claimed to be so
himself.

> Had he only practiced deception about his sexual activities, I could
have
> turned a blind eye myself, but in addition to the sexual
considerations, he did
> [...]
> that he alone could provide the best of the best.
>
> So with the sexual activity, Maharishi practiced deception
> on a grand scale (meaning that he lied for the better part of his
adult life to
> nearly everyone he came into contact, as opposed to just a few times
with a few
> people), he took money under false pretenses therefore committing
fraud and
> seemed to have a large ego.
>
> Committing these sexual and financial acts he
> manipulated people also on a grand scale meaning he manipulated many
people for
> many years, seemingly to feed his ego and achieve sexual and financial
gains.

> This is behavior that most people would not tolerate in their
> friends, family, co-workers or strangers. As a society we certainly
revile our
> politicians for doing the exact same things. I find it interesting in
> cat-with-a-hairball kind of way that some of you can so easily give
him a free
> pass for doing things you would never allow anyone else in your life
to get
> away with.
>
> One more thing I want to mention, Mike said this: “The Bible
> tells us that all men fall short of the Glory of God. That means
> that all men have and will sin.”
>
> This must mean that he was not enlightened. Maharishi’s own
> definition of enlightenment was:
>
>   “...in
> this state (of enlightenment) the mind has become transformed into
> bliss-consciousness, Being is permanently lived as separate from
> activity.Â
> Then a man
> realizes that his Self is different from the mind which is engaged
with
> thoughts and desires. Â
> It is now his
> experience that the mind, which had been identified with desires, is
mainly
> identified with the Self.Â
> He experiences
> the desires of the mind as lying outside of himself, whereas he used
> experience himself as completely involved with desires.Â
> On the surface
> of the mind desires certainly continue, but deep within the mind they
no longer
> exist, for the depths of the mind are transformed into the nature of
the
> Self.Â
> All the desires
> which were present in the mind have been thrown upward, as it were -
they have
> gone to the surface, and within the mind the finest intellect gains an
> unshakable, immovable status."

> “Fortunate is
> man that he can rise to the Life of God”. (4:35 p.308)
> “In such a
> state a man’s every thought, word and action produce a
life-supporting
> influence for himself and for the whole universe.  This is a
state of
> life where no wrong action is possible. In this state one has
crossed
> over all evil by the raft of knowledge.” (4:36, p.309)
> It is this passage that speaks to me regarding Maha and his
> and the TMO leaders’ behavior: “In
> such a state a man’s every thought, word and action produce a
life-supporting
> influence for himself and for the whole universe.”
>
> It
> must be obvious that Maharishi’s actions and words did in fact
not produce life
> supporting influence for others around him â€" one need only look
at the number
> of tried and true TM believers who committed suicide, those who spent
years
> trying to recover emotionally and mentally from TM and direct
involvement with
> Maharishi, some even having been institutionalized, the number of
people who
> had their lives financially disrupted from giving most of their income
to the
> TMO and in general just the effect that lying, manipulating and
committing
> fraud has on the world.
>
> It
> beats me how you feel that someone could even pretend to create world
peace
> when they were themselves perpetrating the very behavior that leads to
world
> destruction. Behavior comes from thought, thought is based on feeling.
You can’t
> tell me that he was even close to enlightened even by his own
definition considering
> the things he said and did. I cannot imagine a scenario where lies,
> deception and manipulation are the actions of an enlightened person.
>
> The
> idea that we can’t “judge” the actions of an
enlightened man is a free and easy
> get out of jail card for him that in fact doesn’t apply since
he was not
> enlightened.
> And lastly here is this quote from Mike D:
>
> “One last comment on this. M told us the story of how he
> left seclusion. He had been in Uttar Kashi and was sitting with a
saint. He
> told the saint he had the thought to go to the south of India and the
saint
> told him "across the river is nothing but mud". In other words, if he
goes out into the world ,
> he should expect to get muddy.”
> I always took this to mean and in fact Maharishi actually
> said so once or twice on old tapes, that the guy he was talking to
meant don’t
> waste your time, across the river is nothing good.
>
> You are interpreting it as an excuse for his unethical
> behavior. This is just an excuse and not a very good one either. The
mark or
> sign of a man or woman is how we behave when the going gets rough, or
how we
> behave when we are in an energy field where bad behavior is pervasive.
>

> My
> problem with M is that he pretended to be different than the rest of
us and
> created a façade that made him appear to be above such worldly
considerations,
> but he was actually behaving as some of the worst elements of our
society
> behave now.
>
> You vilify politicians and people in high finance who do the
> exact same things that Maha did and give him a free pass for doing
what you don't tolerate in others. I understand it, but I shore
don’t agree with
> it.
>

> ________________________________

means that all men have and will sin. Maharishi was a man, not God. The
Bible also speaks of angels coming to earth and having sex with women.
Veda Vyasa had sex with an unmarried woman in a boat while crossing a
river, thus we have Shukadeva. Maharishi belongs on a pedestal, just not
as high as we might have thought. My thoughts are that M was a very high
soul on a mission and upon taking birth as a man, he did things men do.

boys have told about his sexual escapades? Mark Landau, Billy Clayton,
Nedd Wynn and others have told stories that are very similar as to what
who and when.

> Do you think they are all lying and if so why? Or do you honestly
think it is alright for a true holy man who always said he was a
lifelong celibate to have sex repeatedly and lie about having done so?