--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <feste37@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@> wrote:
<snip>
> > What Maharishi did, IMHO, was to think deeply
> > about the nature of intention, of mental effort,
> > and how easy it was for instruction to lead the
> > student to exert effort--and then to figure out
> > how to *get around* that tendency, how to lead
> > the student to *fall into* correct meditation
> > rather than telling them how to "do" it.
> > -----
> >
> > Corrections, amplifications, etc., from TM teachers
> > are welcome.
>
> Perfect! And one has to remember that some of the effortless
> forms of meditation now available are knock-offs of TM
> (Chopra's for example, and another one called Effortless
> Meditation), and like most knock-offs, likely to be not as
> good as the original.

Which is why the "purity of the teaching" is so crucial
with regard to TM instruction. It takes very little to
throw the whole thing off.

> Another thing to remember, I think, is that MMY first
> introduced this technique to the West in the late 1950s
> and early 1960s. There was nothing else like it available
> at the time. Since then the principle of effortlessness
> in meditation has passed into the New Age mind-set, so
> some offerings do indeed echo that principle, but it was
> MMY who first brought it to people's attention, 50 years
> ago. It's part of his legacy.

Good point.

It's entirely possible, I think, that somebody somewhere
with deep insight into the nature of intention and effort
and the nature and mechanics of consciousness could
*improve* on Maharishi's instructions. How's that for
heresy?