I think Emily, being a strong and independent sort of WOMAN, could easily have
written "layman" which is what we all usually default to. But she chose, quite
consciously, to use "woman" in there, just as I would have. It isn't "divisive"
or "prickly" it is simply giving the feminine its just recognition. It is a
measure of her thoughtfulness. At least, that is what I think.