--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu <noozguru@...> wrote:
(snip)
> And some of my serious composer friends say there were a
> number of composers even earlier than that who dared to
> break the rules and wrote modernist stuff centuries ago.
> I think one might have been a nobleman who liked to write
> music and the church didn't want to mess with him for
> writing "songs of the devil."

You may be thinking of Carlo Gesualdo (late 16th-early
17th century), a nobleman who brutally murdered his
wife and her lover *in flagrante* and subsequently went
insane.

He wrote choral music, both religious and secular
(mostly in madrigal form), and some instrumental music
as well, that was full of very modern dissonance and
modulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AddtHVNpOKM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whx643DqAV8

Wikipedia's Gesualdo entry has a wonderful quote from
Alduous Huxley about listening to some of the composer's
madrigals:

"...Through the uneven phrases of the madrigals, the music pursued its course,
never sticking to the same key for two bars together. In Gesualdo, that
fantastic character out of a Webster melodrama, psychological disintegration
had exaggerated, had pushed to the extreme limit, a tendency inherent in modal
as opposed to fully tonal music. The resulting works sounded as though they
might have been written by the later Schoenberg.

"'And yet,' I felt myself constrained to say, as I listened to these strange
products of a Counter-reformation psychosis working upon a late medieval art
form, 'and yet it does not matter that he's all in bits. The whole is
disorganized. But each individual fragment is in order, is a representative of
a Higher Order. The Highest Order prevails even in the disintegration. The
totality is present even in the broken pieces. More clearly present, perhaps,
than in a completely coherent work. At least you aren't lulled into a sense of
false security by some merely human, merely fabricated order. You have to rely
on your immediate perception of the ultimate order. So in a certain sense
disintegration may have its advantages. But of course it's dangerous, horribly
dangerous. Suppose you couldn't get back, out of the chaos...'"