> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Stanley" <j_alexander_stanley@>
> wrote:
> >
> > I just forwarded a long post from FFL to my Yahoo
> > Inbox, and I experienced no jumping while scrolling
> > through it, regardless of how I did the scrolling
> > (mouse scroll wheel, dragging scroll bar, down arrow
> > on keyboard, or clicking and holding the down button
> > on the scroll bar.) It scrolled smoothly every time.
>
> Not to barge in or anything ( although I am :-),
> I think that when making absolute declarations
> about what a Web service "does" or "doesn't do,"
> one should bear in my that WYSIWYG is *not*
> necessarily What Everyone Else Sees And Gets.
>
> Large Web services like Yahoo or Facebook have
> multiple servers, on multiple continents, and
> they roll out "upgrades" to them on *their*
> schedule, not all at once. Living where I do,
> I've grown used to hearing about Americans
> bitching about some new "upgrade" for *weeks*
> before I see it. Same thing used to happen to
> me when I used to live in the US, as a similar
> "upgrade" took days or weeks to update across
> the distributed network of servers.

BTW, I've come to look upon this "time delay"
of new "upgrades" as a feature, not a bug.

Seen from the point of view of someone living
in Europe and using these services, it's very
much as if they were using their American
users as guinea pigs, because they're so
complacent and docile they'll put up with
almost anything. But a few bitch about the
stupidities built in to the "new release,"
and by the time it rolls out in Europe, most
of the Class-A bugs have been resolved.