Obbajee, I am determined to stay under 200! (-:

________________________________
 From: obbajeeba <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, August 16, 2013 9:10 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Chopra nothing without Maharishi

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808"  wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb no_reply@ wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808"  wrote:
> > >
> > > It's interesting why there are so few female philosophers,
> > > same reason there are so few top women chess players perhaps.
> > > A simplistic view would be the old Mars/Venus thing. But I
> > > think it's less a "women are more touchy-feely" than that
> > > men are more prone to excessive nerdiness, and sometimes
> > > to the exclusion of successful relationships or career.
> > >
> > > Women are maybe more likely to be responsible about their
> > > future and more successfully goal directed because of the
> > > possibility of having children, there is a nerve in the
> > > female brain that judges everything for long term value,
> > > whereas a lot of guys can wander about completely clueless
> > > except for a top degree in physics or philosophy. I know
> > > quite a few of them and a lot of *very* focussed
> > > women.
> >
> > Did you notice the lack of women on the list of
> > The Materworks Of Science Fiction list you sent
> > yetsterday? I did, so I counted. There were more
> > citations for works by Philip K. Dick than there
> > were for all women writers combined.
>
> Oh yes, when I meet a woman into sci-fi I always say Wow!
> Most just hate it no matter how much I try and extol
> it's virtues. The only girl I currently know into SF
> has a physics degree.
>
> What is it that turns women off it generally? I leant the
> hitchhikers guide to the galaxy to a girl I knew who was top
> at English literature at uni and she said it was great until
> they left Earth, and then she lost interest. Dislike of
> abstraction?

I love Sci-fi and I am a girl (a woman now, still a girl in the head)
and when I was a teenager, that was the bulk of my reading.   Herbert
and Asimov and other's littered our home.
The Forgotten Door by Alexander Key was one of the reasons I got on that
kick. I couldn't stop reading them (Sci Fi) for a while, as all the
author's started blending as one in my head and twists started becoming
the same thing over and over in a different package or a different fear
presented, or different "magic," based on findings or thought.

Like Nabby does not realize I went through all the mystic belief of
UFO's right through my early 20's.
When I found more interest in spiritual readings, like Autobiography of
a Yogi, I thought, "What would it matter if a being came here on a "man
made ship," when people are said to become omni-present and no need for
a flying saucer?
God! What would the world be like without Orson Welles?   Love the guy.

If someone can be brilliant enough to present a new way of thinking to
me, I am on it. I will listen, whether be in book or vocal, film, or
through other actions.   Hey, what is that tantric sex thing?  LOL .

To tell you the truth, my favorite Sci Fi reading has become the
experience of all the FFL writers, and their short essays of slapping
the enlightened shit either in or out of us all.

I was trying to not post near that 100 mark, but as Judy said something
like it will taper off after a while. :)