--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Ann" <awoelflebater@...> wrote:

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808"  wrote:
> > >
> > > I hope that's not an argument from authority, probably
> > > the least convincing way of winning an argument. All
> > > of the ID crowd were "highly respected" PHDs, just not
> > > any more, chortle.
> >
> > Isn't it fascinating that to some people who couldn't be
> > considered philosophers in a million years, being *called*
> > one confers some kind of noble and exalted status on the
> > person being so named? As I see it, being a "philosopher"
> > is kinda synonymous with "stuck in one's head."
> >
> > It can also be a cover for much darker shit:
> >
> > http://www.salon.com/2013/08/15/philosophy_has_a_sexual_harassment_probl\
> > em/
> > <http://www.salon.com/2013/08/15/philosophy_has_a_sexual_harassment_prob\
> > lem/>
>
> Newsflash: sexual harassment of women is found in so many fields and career
> jobs I have lost count. Just try working around the broadcast or TV/video
> production industry. Most men think all you're good for is an assistant of
> some kind. Rough going there. Barry, most jobs that don't include taking
> dictation or getting someone coffee or sticking a thermometer in someone's
> mouth is rife with sexual discrimination of women. I know women truck drivers
> and heavy equipment operators who deal with it day in and day out as well.
> The philosophy 'world' is the least of it.

I think the point is that in a place where people think for a
living, and about what it means to be human and where morals
come from etc, it's probably quite unexpected to find a bastion
of male supremacy. You'd think they be a bit more enlightened
about their effects on others.

Maybe all that navel gazing has kept them in the dark about reality,
whatever that is...