Dan, Hulu's business model is different form Netflix. Netflix does not show ads and people expect this with their Hulu+ subscription. You get no ads on Hulu+ with movies and they have the Criterion Collection. The problem with TV shows is sometimes the studio will place them for "buy" at sites like Amazon, iTunes and VUDU. These are the ad free versions. So there would be a problem (i.e. conflict of interest) if the shows were ad free on Hulu+ too.

The main thing Hulu needs to do is keep with short ad breaks or ones no longer than 1 minutes. The current model is 6 ad breaks per 44 minute show (they actually call them 6 act shows). The broadcast versions can have up to 4 minutes of commercials on a break. I've heard that some networks losing OTA viewers are trying to make up for lost revenue by shoving more ads on streaming. That won't work as people will drop the subscriptions. And millennials who don't like to watch TV shows at all just like to watch clips on places like Hulu. The worlds is changing right out from under the feet of the network execs.