As to the first question, mental illness perhaps results from atypical wiring
and growth of the brain, causes not necessarily known. Mental illness is not
considered a contagious disease. So contrary to the title Barry gave to this
thread, the hook if you will, belief in god is not a mental illness. But it is
associated with cultural trends, those behaviours that can program the mind,
especially younger minds which are more flexible and which do not have
reasoning well developed, like most of us on FFL. Ideas spread from mind to
mind via various forms of communication and a mind that is not very selective
in what it lets through may become infected with strange unworkable ideas that
are nonetheless believed to be true. So if belief in god is some form of
illness, it is a cultural one, spread through parents and relatives, friends,
government, and dare I say, education. While the concept of a meme has never
been proved to exist, the idea of a meme (an element of a culture or system of
behaviour that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by
non-genetic means, especially imitation) is a convenient way to summarise
cultural transmission and transmission of ideas on a personal scale. If belief
in god leads to irrational and abberant behaviour perhaps we could call that a
memetic disorder or a memetic disease.

 As for the second question, that is related to the problem of non-physical
physical interaction. There does not seem to be any way to explain this unless
you accept that god is physical, or that the universe is not physical, and the
latter seems pretty dumb. Religion mucks around with this problem as if it did
not exist, which is why I find belief in god to be extraordinarily premature
based on what we can feel confident about in this universe. Physical
observation does not seem to be a resolution to the problem. One facet of human
endeavour is subjective introspection. As far as knowledge of the physical
world, no one involved with this kind of thing has ever discovered what we have
discovered using science. A few really brilliant scientist like Einstein seem
to have had a knack for that, but Einstein had plenty of physical data input
before his discoveries.

 But introspective research does reveal something of how the mind works in a
practical way, and it throws some light on the nutty problem of awareness which
seems non physical, but which vanishes if the body in which the awareness seems
to reside is destroyed, and yet there are experiences wherein one senses that
if the body were destroyed some aspect of existence would continue, not
personal or personal immortality, but some indefinable, irreducible value of
abstract existence, because it is experienced (perhaps as a result these
introspective techniques) that that value is what everything is.

 But because the experience is not shared, like scientific knowledge, we have
no way to transmitting that experience to someone else. Also the experience is
not hidden, it is simply the universe as it is seen every day and night, which
includes body, mind, senses, and all that lies outside the body. This sort of
realisation subjectively eliminates the problem because the physical /
non-physical duality is seen to be the wrong question as both are seen to be
the same thing. So saying a potato is physical but consciousness is not is,
from this perspective, an idiotic question. But it certainly does not resolve
the issue for scientific investigation because science has a dualistic approach
to knowledge — observer and observed. This approach has proved very practical
for living in the universe, but in regards to our awareness, from the
scientific point of view it seems to be a function of the organisation of
matter or does not seem to be there at all if we look for it directly, we
always seem to have to approach it indirectly, except as we know it in
ourselves where it does seem possible, from a purely subjective viewpoint, to
dissolve the dividing line between observer and observed.

 Words are known by their context. God is a pretty loaded word culturally. One
thing I try is, if you have a piece of literature, is to rewrite it
substituting a word for god that does not have the cultural associations and
hooks for the human psyche that have been programmed in. A place holder without
the emotional associations. Often a piece of writing with this substitution
will sound ridiculous when this is done, but not necessarily. Also there are
cultural traditions in which the word god is not used for elemental being, such
as Tao, or the Void as you find in some forms of Buddhism. I sometimes use the
word 'Fred'. Or one could use a functional term like 'haberdasher'. Or perhaps
a word with definite negative connotations would work better to counteract the
cultural bias. If the passage, neutralised of emotional programming, still
makes some kind of rational sense, maybe there is something to it; maybe not.

 In a beginning the mindfucker made the ground and the not-ground...

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <inmadison@...> wrote :

 there seem to be 2 questions running through this thread:  1) is a belief in
God a mental illness and 2) is a belief in God justifiable.

the first question is too cumbersome for me - having the notion of mental
illness imbedded in the question . . . and I can't speak as to what a mental
illness is, but the question  is believing in the efficacy of trickle-down
economics a mental illness could be fun  : )

Re the 2nd question, I'm skipping is there a proof for the existence of God
since it's pretty clear no such proof exists - and I'm suggesting:   is a
belief in God justifiable?

We may believe in many things where there is no direct evidence, or no proof,
but yet that belief is justifiable.  For example, we may believe someone lied
to us, even though we have no proof.

[BTW - I am very much an amateur philosopher]     I am going to restate the 2nd
question as:    Is a believe in the existence of component or realm beyond the
physical/material justified?  When I use the expression 'physical/material' I
include anything that is physical/material, or anything that interacts with the
physical/material.

An individual who did not believe a belief in God was justified, would believe
that the material/physical world was sufficient to explain all observable
phenomenon, including the existence of the of the physical/material world
itself.

For me, I think the question is a bit of a red herring, but I admit to having
read and heard nuanced and elegant expressions regarding the need for the
nonphysical (spiritual) to explain stuff like value, and the moment by moment
appreciation of an otherwise brutish world.