By e-mail: “The main phenomenon I would point to regarding this is that
culturally we promote practices that create an uncomfortable or hostile
environment for people who are seekers, critical thinkers, and more
developmentally mature. These individuals receive negative reinforcement from
the community to the extent that they believe they don't belong in the movement
whereas the individuals that are more "devout" and "dedicated" to Maharishi's
teachings receive positive reinforcement.” discussion: This is an extremely
pertinent, succinct and very well said e-mail and it should not be lost track
of in all of this. Again, it goes back to a nature of character in the
leadership within this and what we have now as the TM communities. Thanks for
taking the time to put this point together. Thanks also for being there coming
along attending to and doing this work on behalf of our meditating communities.

 “The problems and the solutions for the TM movement are in the first three
sutras: Friendliness, Compassion, Happiness.” -A friend who is successful in
life, an old meditator who moved to Fairfield, Iowa in retirement observes.
 ..when did the movement change? Reminisces: More distinctly it changed in 1977
with the coming of the Vedic Atom re-organization and the wholesale sweeping
out of a corporate order of national leaders and coordinators then who had used
metrics of numbers of initiations to guide the movement up to that point. From
then the movement became sidhis-centric, it overlooking entirely the teaching
of TM, it overlooked the meditators, and the new administrators adjudicated
based much less on merit and metrics and much more by their sense in fealty of
a faith and belief in Maharishi and Maharishi's teaching using a one-way,
“never do we entertain negativity, never do we denounce anyone”. There was a
change in the cultural esprit de corps in teaching of TM from then to being
more of a faith-based organization. From the moments of the Vedic Atom creation
a lot of the most experienced and effective TM teachers were left out with no
place to return to 'out in the field' within the movement. These were the
experienced field teachers who themselves were still on courses in Europe or
just then going over to courses and not in sync in that free-for-all creation
of teams made up of just anyone and going out in usurpation. I was there and
saw this, eye-witness. It was like witnessing the decapitation of the whole
officer corps of a standing army then. Chaos ensued out in the field and
autocrats tried to control it from on top at a distance. It was quite sad to
watch what happened to people. It was something that happened. Even great
leadership makes mistakes in history. Years later now in TM, scientist CEO's,
administrators, with some who are effective teachers by character being more in
charge the teaching movement now is getting back to metrics of performance and
evaluation in the teaching of TM.  We may yet wait for the remaining old-guard
Plutarchs to get out of the way and in to their retirement or die, whichever
can come first. An alarming message for change within sent by some
retrogressive element in this more recently was in honors granted in a
re-appearance and rehabilitation of the Wilsons, Neil Patterson, Abramson and
some others being brought up and placed seated on stage at the 40th anniversary
celebration of MIU. Is that a movement that people would come back to, going
forward? #

 ..when did the movement change?

Bhairitu writes:
 After the AE courses.  Some teachers came back and assumed being "TM Gestapo".
Most of them were very mediocre souls probably lifetimes away from attaining
any permanent state of enlightenment.  They were rude and mean to other
teachers and made pronouncement as if they had a stick up their butt.  That's
when folks started fleeing elsewhere.

 ..I've been away from the TMO since 1985 but I seem to recall some of them got
drummed out themselves.  They never bothered me but I sure heard stories from
people who were their victims.  Sometimes what goes around comes around.

 #

 Are any of them still in charge of anything:?

 Discussing: “One thing which is interesting here is that this movement was
founded by people who had a distinct lack of the first list and an abundance of
the second list.  To take a year off college and go to a 3-month TM TTC in 1972
required a great lack of obedience, compliance, conformity, discipline and
adherence; and a great abundance of authenticity, self-direction,
self-expression, appreciation of diversity, critical analysis, and playfulness.
 When did we change?”

 ..when did the movement change?

 As the culture of the movement became TM-siddhis centric. Back when the metric
changed from numbers of meditators and the teaching of TM over to groups of
people practicing TM-yogic-flying. The friendly, compassionate, and happy
movement became something else under a new administrative leadership with a
different mission from then.

 Discussing: “Specifically, our community culture highly values: obedience,
compliance, conformity, discipline and adherence. These values go directly
against the grain of: creativity, authenticity, self-direction,
self-expression, appreciation of diversity, critical analysis, and playfulness
which are generally the characteristics of later stages of development.”

 ..Discussion: I feel this is a very powerful way of analyzing.  ..examples of
our community culture valuing “conformity,” for example?

 LEnglish5 wrote :

 I think you're wrong all the way across the board in your conclusinos, even if
you make partially valid points.
 The TM organization appears to be thriving, and on the verge of being 100x
laster than it has ever been, while being recognized by the largest
organizations in the world as being important.

 Of course, that last may never happen, but what if does?

 Yes, granted that in places the TM movement is progressing. That evidently
depends though on people and a character of the people involved how it is
going. In Latin America pretty obviously it is happening because of the
integrity of the person there leading it. Elsewhere the TM movement is pretty
small. They guy in Latin Am. is way inclusive in language and nature, sort of
like the new pope, and simply teaching TM. At the level of the Global Country
of World Peace it evidently is way exclusive as a faith-based organization.
Their GCWP is a very small organization actually. It is some numbers of
hundreds. It seems is not out of the woods yet, post MMY:  'All chiefs and no
indians', as the old saying went.. And certainly no young leaders on the stage
or at the microphones yet at important functions. The Global Country is about
30 Rajas and some 'Ministers' like Bevan and Neil holding fast to the movement
tiller and microphone. Lot of the Rajas evidently bailed in various ways.

 A meditator community observer here with a valid Dome badge watching their
meetings and videos comments, 'they should look and see if anyone is following'.

 By contrast, I was up at Mayo Clinic last week. Consistently rated at the top
in healthcare, their contrast in organizational culture of ease, fluidity,
collaboration, graciousness, mission of service, focus and outcome is
spectacular by contrast with the halting organizational cultural of fears
endemic within organizational TM.

 anartaxius wrote :
 I suspect Michael, that Maharishi as a young spiritual groupie was much like
the people who eventually surrounded him, with that bright naive sense that
everything would be grand. And then the reality of the world, the incapacities
of the people, began to set in. Nothing goes the way you think it will go
(though statistically there are always a few people who are on the lucky end of
the curve).

 He did acknowledge there would be a flaw that would derail the whole thing.
But there is always more than one way for something to come off the rails, and
it can come from inside oneself just as well as from outside. Creating an
organisation, especially a large one, is one way to bollix up the works because
resources that might have been used to supposedly enlighten people have to be
diverted to support and sustain the organisation.

 The organisation then becomes a vampire that sucks its supposed beneficiaries
dry in order to sustain itself. Anyone at the head of such an organisation who
has personal issues or flaws in relation to its stated mission becomes a major
distorting factor in its growth, along with the flaws of all the rest who
become part of it.

 Add to that that enlightenment offers nothing in the end except the knowledge
that there was nothing to get in the first place and cuts you loose to live
your life independently means those few who do 'succeed' in getting what this
truly odd business of 'spiritual' growth is about are not usually going to be
enthusiastic about being surrounded by spiritual cretins and their inept dreams
of a utopia.

 mjackson74  wrote :
 Too bad he was a damnable liar.