--- Peter wrote:

> projective
> identification. The person in question unconsciously
> projects a unintegrated/disowned aspect of their
> personality onto others and provokes them into
> responding/behaving in accord with that unintegrated
> part. People have a tendency to "go off" on the person
> in question thus perpetuating the abuse he experiences

This reminds me of a problem I've noticed in myself.
I've found myself treating people the way they I suspect
they wish to be treated, rather than in a way that reflects
my ideals.

I recall an example from years ago when lurkman and
I just got done sledding on a hill in front of a museum
that was showing a slavery retrospective. We're white.
As we piled our gear into the car, a black man came
out of the museum, reasonably and visibly upset. His
car was parked next to ours. I opened our car door
carelessly and it bumped the rubber bumper of the
black man's car. He jumped out, furious, and examined
his car for damage. Thank God I hit the rubber, and
there was no scuff. But did I explain? Did I apologize?
Did I try to palliate his outrage? No. I thought of it,
but decided, "He wants to feel put upon. I won't spoil
it for him."

I felt like I was part of a larger matrix and had no
individual will.

We drove away without a word.

I marvel at my assholeness to this day.

Ever feel sad or cry for no reason at all? Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/CQDrNC/ubOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM