> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > MMY's personality is very much a product of his time
> > and culture. It has nothing to do with anything
> > "cosmic". Blazing Brahman expresses itself through an
> > aging, slightly senile, lower-caste, 89 year old Hindu
> > man who has run a spiritual movement with an iron fist
> > for the past 50 years.
>
> Boy, I think this is an important point.
>
> Peter, would it also be correct to phrase it
> slightly differently and say, This is *how*
> Blazing Brahman is expressing itself through
> this particular aging, slightly senile,
> lower-caste, 89-year-old Hindu man who has
> run a spiritual movement with an iron fist
> for the past 50 years?
>
> I mean, obviously one has to think MMY has
> *realized* Blazing Brahman in order to make
> either of these two statements.
>
> But people tend to look at the *expression*,
> find it to be much less than what they think
> of as "perfection" in a relative sense, and
> on that basis assume MMY has *not* realized
> Brahman.
>
> Of course whether he has or hasn't is still
> one's individual take; it's just that the take
> shouldn't be based, it seems to me, on the
> perceived distance of the expression from what
> they would consider relative perfection.
>
> So what should it be based on??  I assume
> realized people and nonrealized people have
> different ways of evaluating MMY's state of
> consciousness.
>
> From my unrealized perspective, it's a
> combination of a gut hunch, and my awe at the
> depth, comprehensiveness, and internal
> consistency of his teaching on the nature and
> mechanics of consciousness (including its
> implementation in the TM technique), as well
> as the teaching'sextraordinary explanatory value.
>
> It just doesn't seem possible to me that a person,
> no matter how brilliant their mind, could come up
> with such a teaching purely on an intellectual
> basis.  It has to be coming from some basis in
> higher intuitive knowledge (or Knowledge, to
> distinguish it from intellectual knowledge).
>
> Of course, that's still based on a sense of how
> close MMY's expression comes to my idea of
> relative perfection, which is what I just said
> you shouldn't do.
>
> Now I'm trying to figure out on what basis I think
> evaluating his teaching on the nature and mechanics
> of consciousness is a more appropriate criterion on
> which to have an opinion of his realization, versus
> evaluating the sensibleness of his political and
> social pronouncements and what he's been doing with
> the TMO.
>
> Help me out here.  They're both measuring what MMY
> expresses against a personal idea of relative
> perfection.  Why should choosing one *type* of
> expression over another make a difference?  Or
> are both approaches essentially absurd?
>
> Obviously I've gone off on something of a tangent
> here...
>

>  The value of our interaction
> [...]

Judy,
Just a few off the cuff comments to your thoughtful reply.

Regardless of your (our) judgement of Maharishi's state of
consciousness, how the teaching is manifested still has to be
evaluated critically. Does it acomplish it's purpose? This is part
process of life.

You'll find the same internal consistency in many of the more proment
Adviatic, Dzochen, Course in Miracles, etc. teachers. And many have
the same type of character flaws we talk about here.

Most of us agree that TM has inspired benificial unfoldment of
consciousness.  When we see or come into contact with Maharishi we get
a clearer reflection/experience of OUR own Self (Blazing Brahman is
non-dual, afterall)

We (both us and Maharishi) still have to work it out in the relative,
no matter what the perspective on where or who or from what state of
consciousness the  teaching comes from.

Without meditators there is no movement, no TMO.

JohnY

Does he tell you he loves you when he hits you? Abuse. Narrated by Halle Berry.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/HcoraC/rbOLAA/d1hLAA/0NYolB/TM