> In a message dated 2/27/06 9:29:23 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> But the  Hebrew Scriptures are full of tales of such
> punishments of one unpleasant,  violent sort or another.
>
> Jesus chose the destruction of Sodom because  it worked
> in three respects: a punishment meted out to a *town*,
> the  comparative severity of the punishment, *and* the
> specific sin for which it  was punished.
>
> If you want to insist that Sodom was punished for  the
> the sin of homosexuality, the force of the analogy is
> greatly  weakened because the sins wouldn't be similar.
>
> Jesus was nothing if not  precise in his analogies and
> metaphors.  That's why they're so  powerful.
>
> Judy  can you find something specific that I said  regarding this
> homosexuality.

I don't believe I suggested you said anything to that
effect.

You *did* cite the story of Sodom as evidence that God
really, really doesn't like homosexuality, however.

> The Story of Lot specifically says the Lord told
> Abraham, "I have heard that the people of Sodom and Gomorrah are
> extremely evil  and everything they do is wicked. I am going down
> to see whether or not these  reports are true then will know."
> Now couple this with Leviticus 18:22 "Do  not practice
> homosexuality; it is a detestable sin".

(Note that there are significant scholarly disputes
over the meaning of the term here translated
"detestable sin.")

> Surely the act of raping
> or  wanting to molest the strangers is an act of homosexuality
> whether it is for  pleasure or exhorting power.

"Homosexuality" has two different meanings: homosexual
acts, and sexual preference.  And the former, as you
note, takes two forms.

Homosexual acts between two people of homosexual
preference are engaged in for "pleasure" and, often,
out of deep emotional feelings of love, just as with
heterosexuals.

Homosexual acts between two people of *heterosexual*
preference are engaged in for many different reasons,
including ritualistic performance, stimulating a
jaded sexual appetite, and for purposes of
intimidation and humiliation, among others.

Now, given a loving, beneficent God, which type of
"homosexuality" do you think He would be most
opposed to?  Or do you think He would condemn all
of them as equally detestable in His sight?

 Either way, it is
> an abominable act and considered  sinful.

 The actions of