--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's interesting to hear that the power of persuasion might
> be at work here, as I had a series of experiences early on
> in my "career" that showed me a text book step-by-step
> evolution, clearly deliniated states of higher awareness
> from cc all the way to unity, it was amazingly convincing
> and very obviously a real physical state my brain was
> slipping into. But I had read a book about TM and asked
> many questions on courses. Can our expectations (not that
> I felt I was having any, I've always felt very innocent
> with the technique) influence the states this easily?
> This would be a fascinating area of study I think.

I agree. I don't think there is any question that
what one has "grown up with" philosophically colors
and influences one's interpretation of one's own
spiritual experiences. Just look at the cross-
cultural range of spiritual experiences -- do Native
Americans cognize Shiva and Brahma when they have
visions? Do people brought up Catholic cognize
Krishna when they have visions? No, of course they
don't -- the Native Americans have the visions they
expect to have, and the Catholics see Jesus or Mary
or the beings *they* expect to see.

I consider it possible (but not a given) that the
Navajo having a vision in his hogan and the monk in
his monastery might be having the same experience.
But how they *interpret* that experience afterwards
is going to be in terms of how they were *taught* to
interpret such experiences.

> What really impressed me about the teachings is an
> experience of the veda I had once, very powerful and
> definately real as I couldn't have imagined it if I'd
> tried. The thing is, the only veda I knew of at
> the time was Darth...  :-)

LOL.

> ...as it was four years before I heard about it on a
> course and was told we could actually hear it in
> certain states.

But was what you heard the "Veda," or some undiffer-
entiated cosmic "white noise" associated with a
particular state of attention? Would it be possible
that someone used to choral singing in churches could
have experienced the same thing and heard the "heavenly
choir" or that a monk from Lhasa could have heard the
same thing and heard something that appeared to them
to be in the Tibetan language?

I don't have any answers for these questions, BTW.
I'm just fascinated by this phenomenon.