> Just look at the cross-
> cultural range of spiritual experiences -- do Native
> Americans cognize Shiva and Brahma when they have
> visions? Do people brought up Catholic cognize
> Krishna when they have visions? No, of course they
> don't -- the Native Americans have the visions they
> expect to have, and the Catholics see Jesus or Mary
> or the beings *they* expect to see.

It's an interesting question, but I think one should split it into two
parts.
1) How is what they *see* influenced by what they know about and expect.
2) How is the way they *interpret* what they have seen influenced by
expectation and cultural background

For 1) the expectation and background should have been there *before*
the experience.
For 2) it would be sufficient that a certain cultural explanation
comes along right *after* the experience - and is matched to the vibe
of it as you suggested.

For example, I seem to recall that the description of Bernadette's
vision at Lourdes (I think it was her) seemed to equally or more
precisely match a description of Lakshmi or some waternymph, because
she was standing in water, I think inside a flower, a rose (Lotus?),
something very untypical for Christians, but was interpereted with the
necessary clues as an apparition of Mary, and is seen as a Christian
holy site. It clearly didn't match 1) as the Christian background
couldn't have suggested the imagery.