--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anony_sleuth_ff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anony_sleuth_ff <no_reply@>
> > wrote:

<snip>
> > > Which is crap. millions of investors keep their windfalls in
> > > their accounts for decades.
> >
> > I very seriously doubt anybody keeps $2.5 million
> > just sitting, uninvested, in their account.
>
> Well you are quite the non-worldy fool then.

Ah, and your evidence that lots of people keep as
much as $2.5 million in their accounts for decades?
(Putting it back into stocks to reap more profits
would be "non-worldly"??)

> > But in any case, it appears to me as though the source
> > is talking about those who profit illegally from
> > insider info--"Take the money and run" before anybody
> > notices.
>
> Lynne Howard, a spokeswoman for the Chicago Board Options Exchange
> (CBOE), stated that information about who made the trades was
> available immediately. "We would have been aware of any unusual
> activity right away. It would have been triggered by any unusual
> volume. There is an automated system called 'blue sheeting,' or the
> CBOE Market Surveillance System, that everyone in the business knows
> about. It provides information on the trades - the name and even the
> Social Security number on an account - and these surveillance
systems
> are set up specifically to look into insider trading. The system
would
> look at the volume, and then a real person would take over and
review
> it, going back in time and looking at other unusual activity."
>
> http://tbrnews.org/Archives/a048.htm

Just for the record, TBR News is an anti-Semitic,
neo-Nazi-type site.  This particular quote (which
was lifted, I believe, from the article I linked
to in the Sierra Times), is neutral in that regard,
but you may have noticed that the TBR article itself
claims the suspicious trades were made by Israelis.

> And its quite hard to do so anonomously. Next to impossible.

According to the article at CNN.com:

One problem is that some of the more complex market transactions,
like short-selling of shares, are not directly visible to regulators.
But that doesn't mean there isn't a trail. Even shell companies can
be pried apart.

"Normally, shell companies, special banks, jurisdictional problems
are all set up to make a paper trail more difficult for regulators to
follow. The nature of this atrocity, however, is such that there are
signs that people who don't usually cooperate will cooperate this
time," says Jeffrey Robinson, author of "The Laundrymen."

<snip>
> > Did somebody say investigators could not trace
> > the owner of the account?  Or did you make that up?
>
> "The source and others in the financial industry speculate that the
> purchaser or purchasers -- having initially assumed the money could
> be picked up without detection -- now fear exposure"
> [Judy's post]
>
> I realize one has to use a modest amount of brain power here. Sorry
> its over your head. Let me spell it out for you,step by step.
>
> 1) The unnamed sources speculated that the investors, by,
> withdrawing the money would reveal their idnetities.
>
> 2) This is a silly argument in that the account owners in the US are
> easily traced. See CBOT above
>
> 3) The implied assumption of the unnamed sources was that #2 was not
> true ---investigators could not trace
> the owner of the account.
>
> OK. Clear now?

Even *if* the accounts were easily traced (which the
CNN article appears to contradict), it seemed to me
what the source was saying was that if the traders
had removed the windfall from the account immediately,
it would be less likely to be noticed.

> > > Further, most investors and traders don't close their accounts
> > > after each trade.
> >
> > Did somebody suggest they did?  Or did you make that up?
>
> "Usually, if someone has a windfall like that, you take the money
> and run,"
> [Judy's post]
>
> Taking the money and running is essentially closing out the account.
> If it has a zero balance it is often shutdown within months.

Did somebody say they would have taken *all* the
money out of the account, rather than just the
windfall, leaving a normal amount in the account?

Or did you make that up?