on 5/24/06 12:29 AM, new_morning_blank_slate at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> Is there already a silent presumption that Tolle is "realized" -- and
> thus a parallel presumption that his words are valid and/or relevant?

He says he is, and speaks as though he is.

>  Do you find the words inspiring and uplifting in-and-of-themselves
> --- regardless of the source of, and presumptions about, the speaker?

Yes.

> For example, would one find the words inspiring and uplifting if the
> speaker was acknowledged as clearly unqualified to know anything about
> realization?

Acknowledged by whom? You could give me a print out of his writing, without
telling me who wrote it, and I would probably find it inspiring and
uplifting (a better phrase might be that it brings greater clarity to my
understanding, and thus my experience).

> If not, then wouldn't one already be making some degree of unprovable
> assumption about the speaker's level of consciousness?
>
> If the above is so --  that one is already making some degree of
> unprovable assumption -- presumbable its not a well-examined
> assumption. Is it a useful assumption? How would views change if the
> assumptions about the source were dropped?
>
> Do we tend to believe somethings from one source, but tend to
> disbeleive the same words from another source that we have
> pre-characterized, pre-judged, pegged a certain way? Same words,
> different source. Does the source make a difference in the value,
> relevance, validity and inspiration drawn from the same words?

Each person might answer that differently. I answered it above.

> Is the opposite of Tolle's words also at least partly true? (Fully
> true? More true than the original statement?) If the words are both
> true and untrue, what is their validity and value?

I suppose, but I'd find it difficult to meaningfully phrase opposites to his
words. He's speaking some pretty simple and basic truths.

> Can one be falsely inspired and uplifted? Many proclamations,
> initiatives and themes of the TMO  inspired many us in the past. At
> least some now seem empty -- a false inspiration. Inspired by a
> phantom, a vacuum, by something of little substance.

Druva was uplifted by a clay statue of his teacher, without his teacher's
knowledge. Was that false? It worked, so I guess not.