> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "markmeredith2002"
> <markmeredith@> wrote:
> >
> > "Not digging in the dirt" is the rationale used by many sidhas here
> > when they move into a S-ved home as a way of solving their marital
> > communication problems, or do a yagya as a way to treat their
> > chronic depression or OCD, or spend half their waking life
> > meditating trying to get over some early life emotional pain.
> >
> > I agree there's a severe limit to the progress that can be made
> > with talk therapy that focuses on intellectual analysis of past
> > hurts.  But the fact remains that you can't transcend your way
> > out of deep emotional pain, you have to go through it...
>
> Mark, it's the *absolutism* of statements like this that
> I'm commenting on. What you say in the last sentence
> above is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.
>
> I and many of my friends have had severe emotional pain
> and trauma just fucking GO AWAY as a result of spiritual
> sadhana that did not require us to focus on it or "go
> through it." Leave some room in your pronouncements for
> other possibilities, eh?  :-)
>
> I am *NOT* saying that I don't think dealing with emotional
> issues is not a good thing for some people if they swing
> that way. But is it the ONLY way such issues can be
> resolved? No way.

I personally believe that the ONLY way that emotional issues can be resolved is to hvae the
neuro-physiology mature out of the grip of the event that caused the pain. Whether or not
this involves TM-style transcendence at some point, who can say, but just talking about
your problems, in and of itself, NEVER works, IMHO. Something more must be happening. I
recall watching kids (including myself) in a youth counseling group becoming ever more
facile in discussing our  problems. Even girls as young as 12, who had been raped, got real
good at intellectual descriptions of their situation. Sometimes there would be a
breakthrough concerning a problem, but for most, they simply learned to incorporate the
talk therapy spiel into their defense mechanisms that allowed them to cope with life
WITHOUT addressing whatever was bothering them that had prompted their parents to
send them to the group.