Good points. This one interested me the most:

"rather by recognizing that mysticism is completely
beyond science."

It is beyond the scientific method in its focus and range, but I
think Sam Harris would claim that when it talks about how the
world "is" mysticism enters the field where logic does apply.  You
mentioned that Schroedinger is a physicist, a world class one at
that from what I understand.  But Physics is a field driven by math
skills and I don't think that gives him a leg up on this kind of
discussion over say...you or Chopra. It is all speculation about
life. He leaves his credibility in his own field far behind on these
topics.  Because you have gained something from it, I will spend
some more time thinking about it.

 Then he asks how can it even be statistico-deterministic
> when we have such a clear experience of exercising our
> free will?  Why is the scientific fact incompatible
> with our most basic sense of ourselves?

I still think he is mixing up levels here.  That is what is causing
the paradox.

> [...]
see if
> > I can make an intelligible response!
> >
> > > Coming back to this, because I think it's an
> > > important point: If Unity consciousness is as
> > > MMY defines it, and if he's in Unity consciousness,
> > > it isn't *up* to MMY, independently of nature,
> > > whether to perform siddhis.  It's nature's call.
> > >
> > > So it wouldn't really be a falsifiable standard
> > > after all.
> >
> > I think he has already thrown his hat in to the ring of
demonstrating
> > student's flying for marketing purposes. So it seems like nature
has
> > spoken on this and just hasn't delivered the goods.  He has used
the
> > impression of science for his marketing and even revealed his
strategy
> > in his "Science of Being".  So it seems like it is too late for
him to
> > claim that nature just doesn't want him to blow people away and
gain
> > millions of followers by demonstrating something amazing.
>
> As far as I'm aware, he hasn't made that claim.  I
> was extrapolating from several strands of his teaching.
>
> > Maybe it was never meant as a falsifiable standard even though
it was
> > presented that way.  I may have been giving MMY too much credit
for
> > being sincere about his interest in proofs and testing.
>
> My guess is that he believed siddhis would happen in
> fairly short order.  I don't know what, if anything,
> he's said about them now that it's evident this was
> an overly optimistic expectation, so I don't know how
> he has rationalized it.
>

> > Erwin Schroedinger's quote is interesting.  If my single cup of
coffee
> > brain can wrap around this multiple cups of coffee question...
> >
> > I don't buy his conclusion.  He seems to be jumping levels of
> > existence unnecessarily.  He starts with theory, determinism,
goes to
> > personal experience, free will, and then lapses into poetry.
>
> Well, it's not really determinism in the philosophical
> sense.  He explicitly qualifies it as "statistico-
> deterministic," by which he's presumably referring to
> quantum mechanics--the observations and the math, not
> just theory.
>
> Then he asks how can it even be statistico-deterministic
> when we have such a clear experience of exercising our
> free will?  Why is the scientific fact incompatible
> with our most basic sense of ourselves?
>
> > I don't think his conclusion is logical at all
>
> It isn't, it's paradoxical.  It's the Advaita paradox.
>
> , it is just put
> > together out of his imagination.
>
> He does identify it as an "inference."
>
>   It sounds beautiful, but it is not
> > how I think of it.  When he is doing science he may be the man,
but in
> > his forays into philosophy he just sounds like an old-school
Chopra.

> Ah, Curtis, come on.  Chopra's not a physicist.
> Schroedinger is referencing Advaita.  He isn't the
> only modern physicist who got into mysticism by any
> means.  I should recommend another Wilber book to
> you, called "Quantum Questions: The Mystical Writings
> of the World's Great Physicists."  It's a collection
> Wilber edited, and his introduction is a crystal-clear
> explanation of how modern physics can lead one to
> mysticism--but *not* in the "Tao of Physics" style at
> all, rather by recognizing that mysticism is completely
> beyond science.
>
> > We psychologically experience our free will acting as well as the
> > determined parts of our habits and the effects of past actions
and
> > experiences coming into play and interacting with our will.
Trying to
> > drop a bad habit puts this in our face clearly.
>
> Sure, but this doesn't contradict Shroedinger.
>
>   As far as deciding if
> > the universe has some designs on our personal actions
>
> That would be the Self--yours and mine and everyone
> else's--not some independent entity: "I--I in the
> widest meaning of the word, that is to say, every
> conscious mind that has ever said 'I'--am the person,
> if any, who controls the 'motion of the atoms' according
> to the Laws of Nature."
>

> , this is an area
> > for philosophical speculations. Identifying our sense of "I"
with the
> > "I" controlling the motion of the atoms is more poetry than
> > philosophy.  Not that poetry is bad, I love it.
>
> I think one can say it's mystical philosophy.
>
> > So how do you understand it?
>
> As Schroedinger does; that's why I quoted him!
>

> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <jstein@>
wrote:

> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "curtisdeltablues"

> paradox.

> indications
> around
> > >
> > > Coming back to this, because I think it's an
> > > important point: If Unity consciousness is as
> > > MMY defines it, and if he's in Unity consciousness,
> > > it isn't *up* to MMY, independently of nature,
> > > whether to perform siddhis.  It's nature's call.
> > >
> > > So it wouldn't really be a falsifiable standard
> > > after all.
> > >
> > > And yes, it's all very much wrapped up in the free
> > > will/determinism paradox.  I don't personally
> > > have any problem with the idea that my sense of
> > > free will is an illusion--that is, my "small
> > > self"'s sense of free will.  I think we assume
> > > we have free will because we're dimly intuiting
> > > that the Self has free will.
> > >
> > > I think I've posted this quote from Schroedinger
> > > here before, but it's germane to this discussion:
> > >
> > > Erwin Schroedinger, in an essay called "The I That Is God,"
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > >    ...The space-time events in the body of a living being which
> > >    correspond to the activity of its mind, to its self-
conscious or
> > >    any other actions, are...if not strictly deterministic at
any
> > >    rate statistico-deterministic....Let me regard this as a
fact, as
> > >    I believe every unbiased biologist would, if there were not
the
> > >    well-known, unpleasant feeling about "declaring oneself to
be a
> > >    pure mechanism."  For it is deemed to contradict Free Will
as
> > >    warranted by direct introspection....
> > >
> > >    Let us see whether we cannot draw the correct,
noncontradictory
> > >    conclusion from the following two premises:
> > >
> > >    (i)  My body functions as a pure mechanism according to the
Laws

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/UlWolB/TM