In a message dated 8/20/06 10:03:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
What lies specifically did the republicans tell about the nature
> of the program?

That it was all perfectly legal, that Bush had been
authorized to do it by the resolution on the use of
force in Iraq, that the Times had committed treason
and endangered our national security by revealing
the lawbreaking by the administration, that anybody
who opposed it was siding with the terrorists--you
name it.
The courts will determine if it is legal. And the rest is a matter of opinion that I personally agree with.