As usual when I post an honest, heartfelt, and
*non*-putdown opinion of Maharishi, one of the
terribly attached TBs reacts to it as if it was
a putdown (not true), and as if she were feeling
terribly threatened by the opinion itself (true).

Allow me to clarify, for those who are less anal
retentive about the things they believe.

In the past on this forum, we have discussed
whether it would really *matter* to people with
regard to the benefits they have received from
TM if Maharishi had, in fact, had sex with a
bunch of his female students. The general
consensus was No, it wouldn't matter.

Why then are so many people so attached to the
idea that he is enlightened?

Would it really *matter* if he wasn't? Would
the benefits they have received from practicing
TM be any less? By their actions -- overreacting
almost any time this subject comes up and getting
all defensive about their belief (and that is all
it is) that he is enlightened -- one really has
to assume that it *would* really matter to them.
My question is, Why?

My completely honest, no bullshit, pondered-over-
for-almost-40-years opinion is that Maharishi is
*not* enlightened, and never has been. In all the
time I spent in the TM movement, I never once
heard him claim that he was, and based on reports
here, I don't think he ever has. And yet people
persist in believing that he is. Again, why, and
more important -- *what difference would it make?*"

My perception of Maharishi is of a well-meaning
ordinary guy who had the fortunate experience of
spending some time around someone who *was*
enlightened, was inspired by that experience,
and who decided *on his own*, and against the
advice of that teacher, to try to spread the
inspiration that he felt around, so that other
people could feel as inspired as he did.

This is *NOT* a putdown; it's a compliment. I
*commend* Maharishi for his devotion to this
desire to inspire. By contrast, I've worked with
several other teachers who periodically threw
tantrums and decided to *stop* teaching; Maharishi
never has. That, in my book, makes Maharishi far
more devoted to his desire to inspire others
than the other teachers were.

I *do* believe that he went against the direct
advice of his own teacher in making this decision
to teach, and at his own peril. Spiritual teaching
is a perilous task; there are pitfalls and dangers
in it, especially for those who still have a strong
ego that would be easy prey for these pitfalls and
dangers. *That* is what I believe that Guru Dev
had in mind when he told Maharishi not to teach,
and to follow his *own* example and spend his time
in meditation, far away from the teaching process.
(This information came from Sattyanand, many years
ago.) We are talking, after all, about a guy (Guru
Dev) who tried as hard as humanly possible to *avoid*
being forced into the position of being a teacher
himself. He *understood* the pitfalls and dangers.
When they tried to make him the Shankaracharya, he
literally disappeared for 21 days, hoping that they
would change their minds and choose someone else.
I think he had Maharishi's best interests in mind
when he made the suggestion that he *not* teach;
he must have known that Maharishi was not *ready*
to teach, and *would* fall victim to the pitfalls
and dangers that awaited him if he chose that path.
And I believe that Maharishi did, in fact, fall
prey to them.

But that doesn't mean that I don't feel gratitude
to him for what he taught me. TM, as cobbled-together
and untested as it was, helped to start me on a
spiritual path, and I am grateful to Maharishi for
having made it available. But at the same time, unlike
most of the other TM teachers I have met, I have never
really considered him enlightened, and still don't.

Many people would *like* Maharishi to be enlightened.
They have various reasons for why they believe that.
I have my own reasons for believing that he is not.
My reasons may be correct or they may not, but it
doesn't really matter, because it wouldn't *matter*
to me whether he was enlightened or not. The benefit
for me was in learning a useful beginner's technique
of meditation, one that left me open to more inter-
esting experiences with other techniques and other
traditions. Maharishi didn't need to be enlightened
to accomplish that.

Haven't you ever considered the possibility that
Maharishi coined his "learning to read" analogy (you
remember the one -- the kid goes to school and learns
"A, B, C" and then goes home and teaches his younger
brothers and sisters "A, B, C") to describe *himself*?

I guess my questions for the group as a whole are:

1. *Is* it important to you to believe that Maharishi
   was/is enlightened?

2. If so, *why*?

3. What *difference* do you think that would have
   made in his ability to teach you what you have
   learned from him?