--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Very succinct summary.  Thanks.
>
> I feel much the same -- both about the subject, and Maharishi's
> teachings regarding Jesus' status and, consequently, his
> consciousness.  That simple and important 'revision' of
Christianity
> by Maharishi allowed him (IMO) to make his intitial inroads and
> successes in the West*, or at least overcome intitial knee-jerk
> dismissals from the Christian perspective until the positive
effects
> of the meditation itself overcame such suspicions.
>
> Yogananda had done that also, incorporating Jesus and his teachings
> into the SRF (and by extension, Hinduism itself), but he did it on
> Christian-bhakti footing.  Maharishi did it in a purely
intellectual
> way that made perfect, immediate sense, was at the same time very
> respectful of Christianity and Jesus, but also implicitly
> incorporated/subsumed Christianity into the meta-philosophy of TM
and
> Maharishi's brand/lineage of Advaita Vedanta.  Really masterful
teaching.

> Little bit harder position to maintain with the present semi-Sai
Baba
> Hindu veneer of the TMO.
>
> Thanks, again.
>
> **
>
> *The actual technique might have had some influence on people's
> acceptance of what Maharishi was teaching, too.

I've also found Muktananda's comments and observations about Jesus
and suffering to be very profound...and almost identical to MMY's.

At the risk of being reminded by a FFL participant, once again, that
Muktananda was a pedophile rapist (as inevitably happens every time
I bring his name up), I will, time willing, reproduce some excerpts
from some of his books on the subject 'cause they're really
wonderful.

> ***

> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "rule2148" <pbtown@> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think the Christian focus is on death so much as on
what
> > > that suffering and death accomplished.  To put it in eastern
> > terms,
> > > Christ took on the karma of his followers and dissolved it for
all
> > > time.  This act of absolution required great suffering and the
> > > ultimate sacrifice to pay the price.  For Maharishi to
blithely
> > say
> > > that Jesus didn't suffer seems a bit odd considering he tells
the
> > > tale of Guru Dev suffering from disease as penance for the
world's
> > > karma.
> >

> > I've never heard MMY say that Guru Dev suffered from disease as
> > penance for the world's karma.
> >
> > But even if he did, it wouldn't take away from his great
> > pronouncements on Jesus and that Jesus did not suffer.  I
totally
> > agree with the assessment that Christianity puts too much
emphasis
> > on the suffering of Jesus and that he did not suffer.
> >
> > As for the taking on of karma for all mankind: of course he did.
And
> > that's an experience that awaits all human beings.  But it is an
> > experience that occurs at the doorstep of the absolute.  It's
not
> > something that you magically get by declaring "I accept Jesus
Christ
> > as my personal Lord and Savior".  That's just a marketing ploy
> > get more members for your club; it has absolutely nothing --
zero,
> > zippo -- to do with either Jesus Christ or the practise of
> > Christianity.
> >
> > And bravo to MMY for saying what he did.
> >

> > >The idea that one's guru can suffer to take on the karma of
> > > disciples is as old as the tradition TM comes from.  The
Christian
> > > conversion experience is often discussed as a lifting off of a
> > great
> > > and heretofor unexperience weight as the load of karma is
shifted
> > > from the Christian to Christ.  An Indian friend of mine who
> > > converted from Hinduism to Christianity says that his
discussions
> > > with his family usually come to this point: As a Hindu you
might
> > > have to go through untold lifetimes to get rid of all your
karma
> > but
> > > as a Christian it is gone in this lifetime.  Thus, Christians
> > honor
> > > the act that frees them from the almost impossible task of
> > removing
> > > one's own bad karma.
> > >
> > > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "rudra_joe" <rudra_joe@>

> > is
> > > pretty fascinating, and really isn't helpful with all lifes
little
> > > tediums. He doesn't have the skillful means for his yogasta
kuru
> > > karmani. After all, who cares really about how the self
> > referencial
> > > dynamics of the lime flavor prion binding virtual quarks
spring
> > into
> > > duality at the planc scale, and all that rubbish. All that
shit is
> > > doing is giving the government ideas for warfare. Just wait
til
> > they
> > > figure sound is the key and blow down shit with huge speakers,
> > zero
> > > point, yikes. Stay spiritual where morality is alligned with
> > > development. I mean, as research fine, but not as a moral
code.
> > > Science is divorced from ethics in that a machine can be
easily
> > > turned on. By good or bad.  But on the other hand, if you
believe
> > in
> > > the Dark Lodge, ala Alice Bailey then it doesn't matter what
the
> > > means, the race is on.

Christ."
Yogi,