The overwhelming reason we are  there today is to
> create a democracy in a region that is traditionally held by
dictators or
> absolute monarchies that have a reason to suppress their people
and  keep them
> ignorant and in poverty so as to be able to maintain their own
power.

Uh, that's not how it was billed.

This leads
> to anger, hostility and hopelessness which gives rise to
terrorism. When a
> people can have more stake in their own future via a  government
they control
> through elections they are far less likely to want  to make war on
others so they
> can focus on developing their own country and thus  less likely to
get
> involved in supporting terrorism.

Uh, yea.  That's not what that recent report said.  If we succeed,
sure, we'll be better off.  But right now, it's having the opposite
effect. At 100 bil/yr. and all those lives, on both sides.  To you
it's worth it.

 The State Department was  all for maintaining the
> status quo which would only perpetuated the current  state in the
middle east.

Yea, the military guys supported the go slow approach.  The
civilians with no skin in the game were all gung ho.

lurk

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: