On Nov 4, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Patrick Gillam wrote:

If you accept that bija mantras of goddesses bring the

"boon" of the deity, you should receive the benefit corresponding to

that deity, tempered on your own karmic limitations. And since it is

a bija mantra, it should also awaken kundalini. In some people that

will be easy and expansive, in some it will have some side effects

due to purification. Mantras of a peaceful goddess should also assist

in favoring peaceful, calm, transcendent experience, shouldn't it?

I don't think my doctor disputes these boons.

He seems to be saying, there's a price to pay for them.

Here's a question for those of you versed in such

things: do vedic traditions say a bija deity demands a

vig on each transaction?

I'm not sure what you mean by "vig" or if misspelt, what you mean. The TM mantras are NOT Vedic, this is just TMO misinformation. The TM mantras are tantric. They should give you energy, not take it away. But then again, there is the bija mantra, the seed mantra, and the dharani, or full chain of mantra which includes the bija. Some have argued since the full dharani is not given, this creates imbalance. A tantric might also argue that before you use such a mantra, you have to "prepare the field" by a process called bhuta-shuddhi or purification of the elements. Doing mantra japa without it can exacerbate imbalances.

I know a good number of TMers who used the Saraswati-bija and

developed at an accelerated rate, musicianship and an eloquence of

speech.

I could use some eloquence. Where do I get this Saraswati bija?

It's a standard TM mantra. You could also approach someone like Amma and ask for that aspect of the Universal Mother and she'll gladly do so (or used to anyways).

I detect a hint of bias.

Quite possibly.