--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "larry.potter"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure that we can conclude from the database realm to
> the spiritual. that being said it is true that relational d.b.
> is being used far more than hierarchical. The main reason is
> that it was difficult to model a many-to-many relationship,

There are other reasons, speed of access being one
of them, but the many-to-many thing is interesting
in itself. To me it seems as if the hierarchical
model is something that a seeker (and especially a
deist seeker) would think up. They're always trying
to "climb the tree" to reach something "higher" than
themselves.

But would a realized individual, who even on the
level of perception relates to the many *as* him-
or herself, be tempted to think hierarchically?
When your entire world view is Unity, are the
devatas (assuming they exist) any "higher" than
you? They *are* you. :-)

> However, we now that in a web world that demands quick
> access to data, XML is being used to facilitate this,
> and XML has, of course, a hierarchical structure and
> for good reasons: speed, better handling of data elements,
> easier administration, and handling of unexpected elements.

I honestly suspect that XML's success so far is
based on the relatively small datasets it's called
upon *to* access. When dealing with small amounts
of data, hierarchical structures appear fast on
today's computers. But if you were trying to access
and process yottabytes** of data, do you think you'd
still be using XML or forcing that data to traverse
a tree structure?

** Love that term, 'yottabytes'

kilobyte (kB)   2^10
megabyte (MB)   2^20