Interesting Q&A session, interesting question. For what
it's worth, Rama (Frederick Lenz) used to give a very
strong talk entitled, "Why don't more women attain
enlightenment?" A strong part of his focus was on the
enlightenment of women, and he had some equally strong
opinions on the subject. I'll gloss over a few of them
here, for anyone who is interested.

First, he said that from his perspective women should
*theoretically* be more able to realize enlightenment
than men, because of the more refined qualities of their
subtle bodies. So it's a puzzler when you look at his-
torical records and discover that so few women actually
*did* realize enlightenment. His explanation for why
this is was twofold -- because of men and because of
women.

Men have pretty much always suppressed women, socially
and spiritually. The interview you posted, even though
Swami Bharati Tirtha did his best to dodge the subject,
made the case that the very scriptures his religion is
based on and the structures of the religious hierarchies
within that religion are inherently biased against
women. Add to that the social realities of being a
woman in many eras of history -- the foremost being
unable to work for pay, and thus being dependent on
either finding a man to support them or living with
their birth family for life -- and you have an envir-
onment that was hardly conducive to the study of
enlightenment.

But it was this very suppression of women that, in
Rama's view, helped to create the other "gotcha" at
work in the question of why more women don't attain
enlightenment. *Because of* the need to attract a
man to support them, (in Rama's view) women attained
a higher proficiency with the occult arts than men
did. They became adept at the mini-siddhis that make
up the "science of attraction," the ability to "make
someone fall in love with you." In his view almost
every romantic relationship was initiated by women,
and most of the time involved them using their occult
abilities to (at the very least) attract the man'
s attention and get him to focus on her. And, as he
pointed out, there is really "no harm, no foul" in
doing this, because women *had very few alternatives*.
Finding a man was their only hope of getting out of
the parental house and having a life even remotely
their own.

[ If you bristle at this notion, I might suggest that
if you're a woman you might not appreciate being
busted, and if you're a guy, you might not appreciate
the idea that your romantic decisions in life have not
entirely been your own. :-) Me, I've studied relationships
for most of my life, and I have no problems with this view. ]

So he felt that although this occult manipulation of
men's attention fields was justified, given the status
that the men had relegated women to, it was terrifically
problematic for those women who wanted to realize their
enlightenment. Why? Because if you are in the state of
attention in which you are consciously manipulating others,
that state of attention to some extent *disallows* the
state of attention that supports enlightenment. The more
you use your attention to manipulate others occultly,
the less of that attention is available for the study
of enlightenment. A large part of his study, when working
with women, involved helping them to realize consciously
when they were manipulating others occultly, and in
presenting alternatives to doing so.

The original lecture was two hours long, so this "capsule
version" of it hardly does the subject justice, but since
Jonathan opened the subject for discussion, I thought I'd
throw out some of these ideas for people's consideration.
Over and out...

Unc