Since it comes when listening to or chanting Mahamrityunja or
Sahasranaama I don't think thats whats going on. Its like the
external vision shutting down, colour vision first. Ultimately the
eyes are open and really you don't see anything, unless you decide
to.
The "color" grey is associated with Rahu and Ketu in Jyotish as
well.