<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Snark is condescension after two bong hits and a half bag of Oreos.
>
> The irony of the rest is too perfect to touch.
>
> I enjoy our discussions up to the point that you use it as a
> tool to criticize me personally, or my style of thinking,
> instead of talking about the subject. I think we are looking
> for very different things from our exchanges.

I'd be a lot less inclined to criticize your style
of thinking if you didn't make such a big deal of
the importance of thinking clearly and rigorously,
while mocking those whose thinking you feel is
muddled and holding up people like Sam Harris as
some kind of ideal--and then coming out with
something as antithetical to those pronouncements
as your Guru Dev/MMY fantasies, in which you
construct elaborate fictional narratives around
a few bits of fact while ignoring a host of other
facts, just so you can come up with a scenario
that fits your predtermined conclusions.

Your thinking along these lines is also marred
by anachronism and ethnocentrism; you have a great
deal of difficulty putting yourself in the shoes
of people who lived at a different time and in a
different place and culture.

What I *sense* is that you're driven to find
conclusions about the whole TM thing that justify
your rejection of it. But you make just as many
mental leaps as you did in order to buy into TM
and MMY and Guru Dev in the first place.  I don't
believe your style of thinking has changed at all;
rather, you're using that same style of thinking
to arrive at a different point.

It's as if you look at your earlier conclusions,
ask yourself what the opposite of those conclusions
would be, and then do whatever mental acrobatics
you must to hop, skip, and jump your way to those
opposite conclusions.

I'm not suggesting your instincts about getting out
of TM didn't have a solid basis. But I've *always*
thought your rationalizations of why you did so were
fishy, entirely disconnected from the real reasons,
maybe even subconsciously designed to *avoid*
looking at the real reasons.

You've had three people now bust holes in your
fantasies about Guru Dev and MMY, two of them on
the basis of firsthand knowledge. Can you not
come up with a mental construct that incorporates
what Marek and trinity have told you without also
busting holes in your decision to quit TM?

Does that decision hinge on Guru Dev not being who
he was said to be and on MMY having lied about
Guru Dev for the sake of his own self-importance?
If Guru Dev was a real spiritual luminary, and if
MMY was entirely sincere in promoting him with no
ulterior motives, does that make your decision to
leave somehow a mistake?

It's as if you don't trust your instincts to leave
TM and have to build this quasi-rational structure
to support them. The problem is that it isn't
anywhere near as rational as you think it is.

Bottom line, what I'm suggesting is that you don't
*need* to rationalize your instincts. But the way
you go about the attempt to rationalize them has
forced you into a very unhelpful and potentially
counterproductive way of looking at the world.