--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "dhamiltony2k5"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <rick@> wrote:
> >
> > I said:
> >
> > I thought a lot about this and kind of "felt" my way into it
> > during meditation, and here's what I think (and feel). I love
> > you, Bobby, Paul Morehead, Craig Pearson, my old Purusha
> > buddies, and the many good souls in the movement. Most of the
> > people I just mentioned love what they're doing
> > and seem to be thriving doing it.
>
> Yes Rick, Good People doing bad things, continuing to support
> such an organization as it has become.

And yet, is it our business to somehow convince
them that this is what they're doing?

I ask because one poster on this forum suggested
as much yesterday. The implication (possibly unin-
tended) of the post was that if she encountered a
friend who had come to believe something that she
considered untrue or even insulting to certain
minorities, she'd *have* to say something to set
the person right and change his or her mind, to
make (not stated, but definitely implied) some
kind of stand for "the truth."

If one feels that, doesn't that imply that they
feel that they KNOW the truth?

I can't speak for you, Doug, but I DON'T know the
truth. About *anything*. All I have is opinions,
which as far as I can tell based on past perform-
ance (no scientific tests so far...sorry, Off),
are sometimes accurate, and sometimes not.

Therefore, for example, when I encountered recently
an old friend from the Rama trip whose ideas about
him and who and what he was differed from mine,
did I feel a compulsion to set her straight and
convince her that my view was "right" and hers was
not? I did not. I tried my best to steer the conver-
sation to more pleasant neutral ground.

She wouldn't be steered that way. She WAS convinced
that she knew the truth, and the fact that I didn't
AGREE with her truth was perceived as a failing on
my part, one that it was her duty to correct.

Doug, I'm not sayin' that on some days I don't agree
with your assessment of the Yes-men who perpetuate
some of the frauds and ethical travesties of the TM
movement. But these days, I'm trying to be a bit more
tolerant of such people and their beliefs. It's a
compassion thang.

In some cases, all that these people HAVE in life is
the conviction that their beliefs equate to "truth."
They have given up or given away pretty much every-
thing else -- money, career, personal dreams, family,
whatever -- to support the dreams of the TM movement
and Maharishi. And, as Rick says above, this seems to
have made some of them happy, and they seem to be
thriving on it.

Therefore, why should I rain on their parade and try
to convince them that my "truth" is somehow better
than their "truth?" They can believe what they believe
all day, every day for the rest of their lives and it
doesn't affect me and what I believe in any way. If
they started gettin' active in guvmint and passing laws
that tried to *make* me believe the things that they
believe, I might have some reason to speak up. But as
long as they're just believing what they want to believe
and not trying to force me to believe it too, I have no
problem with them and their belief system. More power
to 'em.

I think that the issue that came up, at least for me,
in Rick's recent sharing of the discussion he had with
his Purusha friend is a classic example of this laissez-
faire approach to conflicting belief systems. As I read
what was posted, it seemed to me that Rick was NOT going
out of his way to demonize his Purusha friend for believing
what he believed. But the Purusha guy WAS doing that. His
position was that Rick was WRONG. And he felt that it was
his DUTY, as a friend, to try to "help" Rick come to his
senses and come back to his belief in the "right" things.

All I'm suggesting is that your quip above is pushing the
envelope of the same phenomenon. WE may feel that these
folks are perpetuating what the TMO has become, but is
there anything we can do about it? Nothing. Nada. Nichevo.
Rien. Bupkus.

We could convince every Purusha guy in the world that we
were "right" and the TMO would continue its lemming run
undisturbed. The TM movement's direction is set by MMY,
and nothing we can do or say is ever going to change it.

I guess that all I'm suggesting here is: Why *bother* to
try to change it? If what they believe makes them happy,
let them believe it, as long as it doesn't cross the
boundary into something illegal. If it does, report that
illegality to the proper authorities and let them deal
with it in the legal system.

But I think that you know (and, like me, have probably
seen it happen) that even if the legal system found some-
thing dreadfully illegal about the TMO's activities, or
about Marharishi's activies, there are people who would
*refuse* to believe a word of it. Their trust in their
existing beliefs is stronger than their trust in the
legal system.

So, again, why even *bother* to try to sway those beliefs?
We can talk about the things we believe here, and they
can talk about the things they believe in the groups they
hang with. No harm, no foul, no need for either "side"
to try to convince the other that it's "right." To do
so just seems like an awful waste of time and energy
to me.