> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <no_reply@> wrote:
> >
> > Not arguing, just some points your post triggered.
> >

> > A second, separate point, I liked Judy's post yesterday, it
> > was a good counter that made me think a bit. The gist --
> > parapharsing "racism IS bad and I will speak up against it
> > and try to uplift weak and/or irrational views."
>
> I would suggest that this is a rather superficial
> example of the phenomenon, designed to support the
> case that we *should* try to change other people's
> minds. The example given is racism. Yeah, sure...
> everybody likes to think they're against racism,
> and that they'd speak up if someone said some racist
> remarks in their presence.
>
> But that's not what we're talking about.

Well, its what I was thinking about. I was thinking in broader terms
than just the current discussion.  As I said, "Not arguing, just some
points your post triggered." And thoughts Judy's post triggered. If my
net etiquitte is off key, and if I should have started another thread
so that all discussion on this thread remain strictly on-message, then
OK. But I think the thoughts in my are relevant to this discussion as
well as in a broader context. (Useful is another criteria altogether.
:) )

> > Your counter -- there is no TRUTH
>
> I never said that. There might be. I don't know.
> All I know is that I have never been privy to
> the TRUTH, and expect never TO be. Therefore I
> don't delude myself into thinking I "know" it. :-)

OK. Thank you for the clarification. I was roughly paraphrasing my
take on your position, and I now see your distinctions clearer.

> > -- with the implication possibly
> > (perhaps not intended) being to not speak up against things like
> > racism and not bothering to try to uplift weak or irrational views
> > becasue they may be right.
>
> You're making the leap you were intended to make
> here, dude, thinking "racism" when you should be
> thinking "trying to convert someone else of the
> unquestionable correctness of your spiritual beliefs.

"I SHOULD be thinking". You are telling me how I should think?

> It's EASY to justify impassioned debate if you can
> pretend you're "fighting racism."

Racism was an example Judy brought up. I find, as I assume she does,
that when one generalizes about a specific set of situations (e.g.,
trying to convert others unquestionable correctness of your spiritual
beliefs", its useful to look at that generalized observation in a
broader context to see if it still flies. Racism was an example to do
that. I was not trying to take the discussion off topic (nor was she,
I beleive); my post ended back "on topic". You may not find the above
process of testing hypotheses in a wider context useful to you. I am
not trying to convince you otherwise.

> But it's not quite
> as easy to do so when what you're defending is an
> active attempt to impose one own spiritual beliefs
> on another person.

I am not arguing for the above. But do you feel that "an active
attempt to impose one own spiritual beliefs on another person" is
always wrong in all contexts?