--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, new.morning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > But it's not quite
> > as easy to do so when what you're defending is an
> > active attempt to impose one's own spiritual beliefs
> > on another person.
>
> I am not arguing for the above. But do you feel that "an active
> attempt to impose one's own spiritual beliefs on another person"
> is always wrong in all contexts?

While I can *theoretically* admit the possibility
that in some time and place it might actually be
appropriate to attempt to impose your spiritual
beliefs on another, I'm not pragmatically convinced
that such a time and place have ever occurred in
the history of the human race.  :-)

Can you give me a theoretical example of such an
action being appropriate? One that does not involve
the person who is doing it assuming that he/she is
"right" and knows the "truth?" And that does not
involve the deus ex machina of you saying, "But...
but...in such and such a case they *did* know the
truth." That's an artificial situation that has
never really existed.

On the other hand, every spiritual tyrant in history
has claimed that they were "right" and that they knew
the "truth," from the Inquisition to the Spanish and
Portuguese priests who tried to convert the Japanese
to Christianity by force, and who did not shirk from
killing a few villages of resistant converts to make
their point.

ALL fanatics believe that they're "right" and that
they know the "truth." But that doesn't make them
right, or their beliefs the truth.

I guess the short answer to your question, now that
I've rapped out a longer one, is No, I don't see
how it could ever be appropriate to attempt to
impose one's spiritual beliefs on another person.
The Japanese who were trying to deal with the
Catholic priests who were trying to convert them
(in a time and place in which one *never* tried to
impose one's religion on another person) had a term
that they applied to that sad period of history.
They called it "the invasion of the barbarians." I
guess that term kinda captures my feelings about
those who believe that they have the right to
impose their spiritual beliefs on others.

But I could be wrong.  :-)  :-)  :-)