--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Duveyoung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Turq,
>
> Would you agree that, for you, the word "identification" has
> the same definition as "attachment?"  That's my stance.

Hmmm. I've never really thought in those terms. I'll
try to do so "on the fly" here.

My first reaction is to say No, that I don't think
they are the same thing. I find myself able to
identify with my current self quite well, but with-
out being terribly attached to it. I *like* some of
my selves, and identify fully with being them while
I'm wearing them. And then they go away and the next
self, when asked about the self that it liked so
much, says, "Who?"

I'll try to ponder this further as I move along to
your own explanations of what you mean above. I may
change my mind and say Yes by the end of the post.
Really.  :-)

> The ego cannot be "ended," (since it doesn't exist,) but the
> "choosing process" of identifying it as the "I" CAN be ended,
> and once this inordinate attentioning on one small aspect of
> amness stops, then the ego can be as wonderfully appropriate --
> in that, now, the ego is not puffed, hogging the spotlight,
> and elbowing out all the other aspects of manifestation, but
> is instead, a boon traveling companion, a biographer of the
> body/mind.

I have no problem with this at all. I think it's a
valid way of expressing the same sense of comfort-
ableness with self that I was trying to express
earlier.

> To me it is always about "what is awareness awaring?"

Good phrase.

> That's a spotlighting process,

This one, too.

> ...point value thingy, and whatever is going through one's mind
> is being identified with as much as a dog does when sniffing his
> fresh pee and, for my money, is thinking, "Ha, now that's
> an ablution of the previous hound's objectionable scent!" (I'm
> imagining myself as the dog, so he had to be a good writer!)

I have to walk my best friend's dogs as soon as I
finish writing this. You have me chuckling in
anticipation of trying to get into their heads
during the walk. Many thanks.

> To me, enlightenment is "not identifying."  Period.

So far, I'm still going with No. I think that enlight-
enment can be about identifying fully, *in the moment*,
and being unattached to that moment when it's passed.

> The least identification is having both feet on the slippery
> slope.

That might be true if the object being identified with
wasn't your Self. But the sages, and often our own
intuition, tells us that it is. So the "slippery slope"
would seem to me to be more of a Giant Water Slide ride
from Self to Self.  :-)

> Even pure being, amness, is a primal identification, and sure
> enough, that slightest of all stains is all that's needed for
> the sin of manifestation to occur when ego starts saying, "I'm
> that. I'm that. I'm that." Instead of, you know, neti, neti, neti.

Wow. Too much to bounce off of right now. I really *do*
have to walk the dogs, and it's lookin' like rain. So
there would be no time for me to do justice to amness
being an identification, let alone "the sin of mani-
festation." When it comes to the latter phrase, I'm
not sure I even want to go there. Too icky and Puritain
for me.

If you believe in God and God created manifestation and,
if what we have been told is true, is One with that
manifestation, where is the Waldo of "sin" in this picture?

Maybe later...

> I think that I hear you loud and clear. I love the bon vivant
> you are and support your right to identify with the wondrousness
> that passes through your mind, but what about this "sin" I've
> mentioned? Do you see that if one is attending to anything, then
> one is not conscious of the "ALL THING," the Self -- except that
> any THING must be a partial "ray" of the Self and thus, yeah, all
> things can only be SELF, but you know what I mean.

I think I do, and I'm still in the No camp. You seem to
be saying (in more Buddhist terms) that nirvana is not
samsara. And that nirvana is preferable to samsara.

I'm more in the nirvana IS samsara camp. There is no
"preference" in play because there is no difference
between sitting samadhi no thoughts no perceptions no
self only Self and walking samadhi full of thoughts
full of perceptions full of self AND full of Self.

To me your concern is based in dualism, the belief that
the relative is not the Absolute and can't ever be. It
has to be one or the other. But remember "200% of life?"

> I think you've been saying that the "200% fullness" concept
> is part of your dogma

I really am writing this on the fly, as I read your
post for the first time. It's more fun for me that
way when dealing with a mind as flexible as yours.
So I wrote my "200% of life" without reading yours
first.  :-)

> -- that the game of enlightenment MUST allow for enjoyment
> in the relative without it being "bad for evolution." You
> refuse to see yourself as a sinner in any "eternal" sense...

In any sense at all.

> ...so it seems you'v got a very strongly held stance, which,
> to me, means that probably you've looked at this identification
> concept deeply.
>
> Have you?

Not in those terms, no.

> Have you pushed life through such a filter and seen if it
> is really all about ending identification -- not ending or
> starting any action?

I think I can say that I have pondered this one a bit.
To me it's *not* about ending identification, only
ending attachment to those fleeting things that are
identified with.

> Which "tion" does ya choose?  I mean, if you had a gun to
> your head, say maybe Judy had the gun, THEN which would you
> choose. I'm betting you resent the idea of having to choose
> though, eh?  Hee hee.

Your "choice" doesn't even seem like one to me, so
it's not really a very large caliber gun, even with
Judy wielding it.  :-)

At the last minute you switched from talking about
identification vs. attachment and made it identifi-
cation vs. action. I'm not sure I can follow that
mental leap, sorry.

If you were to ask me with a psychic gun pointed to
my head ( which may be what you did, since I started
to reply to this post before even reading it :-)
whether I was to come down on the side of identification
vs. attachment, I'd say attachmend. That's the boogey-
man, not identification.

But what do I know? I'm just a bozo who has now dawdled
so long writing this reply that he has to walk his dogs
in the rain.  :-)