--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Gimbel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>  (snip)
> > "I'd class it at the same level of veracity as the guys
> > on my TTC who said, when we complained about the dyna-
> > miting next door to our hotels, "Maharishi has *definitely*
> > been told about the dynamite, and he told me to tell you
> > that you shouldn't mind it. He's working on resolving the
> > problem, but remember that noise is no barrier to med-
> > itation." Then when Maharishi visited a few weeks later,
> > and someone stood up to ask whether there had been any
> > progress on the dynamite issue. Maharishi's response?
> > "What dynamite?"
>
> Perhaps when Maharishi asked, "What dynamite?" he was making a joke.
> In other words, for Maharishi, the dynamite wouldn't be such a big
> deal, as you have made it, and  all these years later-
> As if you have taken this one incident, and blamed everything that
> has happened since then on this one incident.

Other teachers here who were in Cala Millor would
probably be able to verify this incident. The course
leaders were later reamed by MMY for not telling him
about the dynamite. If he was just jokin' around by
making the comment, perhaps he was joking around
during the public reaming, too.  :-)

> Perhaps this dynamite was all in your mind?

> Perhaps it was traumatic to you?
> PTSD- (explosions can cause that)...

The dynamite never bothered me at all, and many
others. Really. It bothered a few people, and I
guess they're the ones who had talked to the course
leaders about it and been given a "Go away, every-
thing is being taken care of" story.

But I'll tell you an "unstressing idea" I had there
that cracked me up. They had this little air horn
that they used to blow three times before each
explosion. I assume it was to warn workers on the
construction site that blasting was about to take
place. The horn would go HONK (pause) HONK (pause)
HONK (pause), and then would come the dynamite.

I always thought it would be a crackup if someone
on the blasting crew got word of all these meditators
next door who'd been complaining about him doing his
job, and had himself a chuckle. One day, he'd pick
up the air horn and go HONK (pause) HONK (pause) HONK
(pause)

No dynamite.

Now I know that "noise is no barrier to meditation"
and all that, and I agree that it isn't. But that
one would probably snap a few eyes open on any course.
And on this one, as I remember, we were doing 8-10
hours of rounding a day at that point, and some people
were really fried.

> All I know, is that from my TM practice, I notice I don't
> respond to loud noises in the same jumpy way as those
> around me; My nervous system is definitely changed due
> to my TM practice, no question.

Yup. I have to agree. I don't tend to react to noises,
either, and neither does my best friend here, who medi-
tated for years, but not TM-style. We were having dinner
out with a neighbor here, and a chair fell over across
the restaurant, making a loud BANG! as it hit the floor.
My friend and I didn't even pause in our conversation,
and we looked over at our neighbor, and he was almost
having a heart attack. But this fellow meditates, too,
and has daily for over a decade. So go figure, eh?