ME: I'll start with Terry Eagleton.  Thanks again for posting these
critiques Judy.

His criticism of Dawkins proposes an argument that the New Testament
Jesus offers a perspective of God that is much improved from the Old
Testament Jewish version.  It borders on an antisemitic rant at one
point. He dismisses other popular versions of religious fundamentalist
perspectives as harshly as Dawkins does.  It seems that
fundamentalists of all religions just can't get a break from atheists
or their critics.  If you take your scripture seriously as the literal
word of God, you are just an uneducated rube.  Here are my main
problems with his critique. First, he failures to answer this questions :

1. Is the Bible a different kind of book from other books created by
man?  How does he know?  Once we decide that they are specially
inspired by God, how do we know which parts we should take seriously
and which are just metaphors?   Do the parts that start with "God
said" mean that God said those things?  Should we put people to death
for worshiping other Gods?

If religious people would hand over the conception that their specific
religious books are different from other books created by man, we
would all just be back in the same human family together,living in a
world of wonder to explore and hypothesize about.  But telling Dawkins
that his taking the source books of a religion seriously and at face
value is unfair, is completely bogus.  Either these books are
different from other acts of human creation, or they are not.  If they
are then any line that starts with "God said" must be taken seriously.
 He is claiming that only people who have studied theology at a high
level should be taken seriously on these topics.  This is just
religious and academic elitism.  There are millions of people in the
world who do believe in their scriptures literally.  If a
comparatively few academics have a more nuanced view, good for them,
they are not the ones strapping on the bombs over tiny differences in
religious doctrine. They are also not helping dispute the claim that
is causing the problem, that my God book told me to kill you.

HIM: Christianity teaches that to claim that there is a God must be
reasonable, but that this is not at all the same thing as faith.
Believing in God, whatever Dawkins might think, is not like concluding
that aliens or the tooth fairy exist. God is not a celestial
super-object or divine UFO, about whose existence we must remain
agnostic until all the evidence is in. Theologians do not believe that
he is either inside or outside the universe, as Dawkins thinks they
do. His transcendence and invisibility are part of what he is, which
is not the case with the Loch Ness monster.

ME: 2. He is presenting the ontological leap of his religious beliefs.
 Here he begins a description that is meant to show how much more
sophisticated his Christian view of God is than Jews and
fundamentalists.  OK so he has established that his God is more like
Casper than the physical Loch Ness Monster.  Fine, so God is
invisible.  This is not exactly earth shattering but lets see where he
is going with this.

 HIM: This is not to say that religious people believe in a black
hole, because they also consider that God has revealed himself: not,
as Dawkins thinks, in the guise of a cosmic manufacturer even smarter
than Dawkins himself (the New Testament has next to nothing to say
about God as Creator), but for Christians at least, in the form of a
reviled and murdered political criminal. The Jews of the so-called Old
Testament had faith in God, but this does not mean that after debating
the matter at a number of international conferences they decided to
endorse the scientific hypothesis that there existed a supreme
architect of the universe – even though, as Genesis reveals, they were
of this opinion. They had faith in God in the sense that I have faith
in you. They may well have been mistaken in their view; but they were
not mistaken because their scientific hypothesis was unsound.

ME: Now we get down to his real bias.  He is using Jesus as the
revealed form of the invisible God.  The New Testament is repetitive
and clear about why we should believe this to be so.  It is because of
the reported miracles and the similarity of the circumstances of
Jesus' life to the Jewish Messiah myth.  None of Jesus' teachings were
philosophically unique, despite Christians attempts to assert this.
His most popular teachings are not even unique to our species,
forgiveness is a quality of all social primate cultures.  He never
denounced the message of the Old Testament or its laws which Terry
will ridicule later.  Terry's belief in God is based on his belief in
the specialness of Jesus.  He points out that the New Testament
doesn't identify God as a creator and seems to be making fun of
Dawkins for viewing him that way.  His point about how the Jews came
to their belief in him as a creator dodges the ontological leap.  They
made up a story about how creation came into being.  They are welcome
to their opinion and mythology.  But I draw the line when they assert
that it is more than than because it came from revealed scripture.
They are winging it concerning ultimate questions.  I just need a
little humility here.  We don't know how we came to be.  Specifically,
religious people haven't answered these questions because they have
old books that claim to answer them.

HIM: Dawkins speaks scoffingly of a personal God, as though it were
entirely obvious exactly what this might mean. He seems to imagine
God, if not exactly with a white beard, then at least as some kind of
chap, however supersized. He asks how this chap can speak to billions
of people simultaneously, which is rather like wondering why, if Tony
Blair is an octopus, he has only two arms. For Judeo-Christianity, God
is not a person in the sense that Al Gore arguably is. Nor is he a
principle, an entity, or `existent': in one sense of that word it
would be perfectly coherent for religious types to claim that God does
not in fact exist. He is, rather, the condition of possibility of any
entity whatsoever, including ourselves. He is the answer to why there
is something rather than nothing. God and the universe do not add up
to two, any more than my envy and my left foot constitute a pair of
objects.

ME: First he castigates Dawkins for taking the Old Testament at its
word, where God clearly is a chap.  He goes on to assert God's nature
as he understands it.  This is as close to a definition as we are
going to get from him after the whole "neti neti" not this not this
process.  so here we go:

HIM : He is, rather, the condition of possibility of any entity
whatsoever, including ourselves. He is the answer to why there is
something rather than nothing. God and the universe do not add up to
two, any more than my envy and my left foot constitute a pair of objects.

ME: He is trying a bit of ontological slight-of-hand here.   He is
trying to establish something above the primacy of existence by
assertion without any basis.  We are not required to have a prior
"possibility of any entity whatsoever" because we have the entities
themselves in the form of all living creatures.   He is inventing the
need for the "condition of possibility".  This is the essence of the
ontological leap that atheists don't buy.  It is a presumptive
assertion without any logical necessity.  It is made up.

His next statement seems to be an assertion that his created God is of
a different nature from physical objects.  Fine, he can give it any
qualities he wants because he is the one who made him up and gave him
those qualities.  But his entomological basis has already been
asserted as the form of Jesus.  So here is the philosophical dodge
ball he is playing.  For all his sophisticated thinking, he is still
left with a basic simple argument.  He is basing his belief in God on
Jesus, but Terry is the one who will decide which parts of scripture
will be taken seriously and how metaphors should be interpreted.  In
short, he wants to assert his own opinions over the scriptural sources
 themselves because he has special insight from all his theological
study.  But when he violates basic rules for reasonable thinking, he
will be subject to criticism by atheists.

Once again, " Is the Bible divinely special or not?  If not, join the
part of humble thinkers working on the questions of life.  Just don't
show up with a badge that says "Knower".

HIM: Dawkins's Supreme Being is the God of those who seek to avert
divine wrath by sacrificing animals, being choosy in their diet and
being impeccably well behaved. They cannot accept the scandal that God
loves them just as they are, in all their moral shabbiness. This is
one reason St Paul remarks that the law is cursed. Dawkins sees
Christianity in terms of a narrowly legalistic notion of atonement –
of a brutally vindictive God sacrificing his own child in recompense
for being offended – and describes the belief as vicious and
obnoxious. It's a safe bet that the Archbishop of Canterbury couldn't
agree more. It was the imperial Roman state, not God, that murdered Jesus.

ME: Here he goes into his Old Testament God-bashing bit.  He is
blaming Dawkins for not being a Christian and dismissing the Jewish
version of God in the scriptures.  He has to use Paul as a source for
saying the law is cursed because Jesus himself supported every Jot an
Tittle of the law. (Please correct me if I have that word wrong but I
couldn't resist  a word like "tittle")   I will let Jewish people
defend themselves but if I was Jewish, I would be pissed at his
reduction of their religion into the same caricature he tries to
accuse Dawkins for doing to Christianity.  Trying to blame Dawkins for
stories in the Old Testament as if  Dawkins made up Biblical sacrifice
is disingenuous at best.  I read the books, I know what is in them.
Sacrificial killings to appease God is a huge part of most world
religions including the Vedic literature.  And back then it was not
just a metaphor.

As far as his dismissing the theology of Jesus' blood sacrifice as an
atonement for our original sin, I can only wonder what brand of
Christianity he is practicing.  It is at the core of every version I
am aware of.  It is not ambiguous or up for debate.  Here he loses ten
credibility points for even daring to blame Dawkins for presenting and
criticizing a fundamental tenant of Christianity.  If he wants to go
New Age and drop this made-up nonsense, fine.  But don't shoot the
messenger for a basic belief of Christianity, or deny that it is one.

Him: The huge numbers of believers who hold something like the
theology I outlined above can thus be conveniently lumped with
rednecks who murder abortionists and malign homosexuals.

Me: Here is engages in the exact thing he accuses Dawkins of.  He is
making it seem like the people who sincerely believe in what the
scriptures directly say about gay people are somehow flawed
themselves, rubes who don't have his sophistication or education.  He
is pointing out the problem of taking scriptures as special books
rather than another opinion.  If he is making this assertion he has
crossed the same line they are.  He is taking the ontological leap of
assumption that he knows something exists beyond the primacy of
existence and even worse, that he knows what that specifically means.
  Blaming  people for taking special God books at their word  shows  a
profound lack of understanding of  the atheist's points.  They are
different from fundamentalists only in degree, not in taking that
first important assumptive step.

He doesn't understand the leap he is making.  But it is very clear to
someone outside him.  Just as it is clear to him that a person reading
the scriptures literally as the word of God and hating gay people, are
wrong.  But he is missing the point that these people are just as
sincere as he is in their beliefs, just as pious and sometimes just as
thoughtful.  The flaw in thinking is the claim that mythological
stories have a unique credibility outside the good thinking skills we
employ to analyze and discuss other human ideas.  What he says after
he makes this leap and the other ontological assumptions may be
fascinating and brilliant.  But philosophically it boils down to the
same simple thing, an unsupported leap of faith and a subjective
method for deciding what is true without any of the assistance from
fields like epistemology,  which  have been so helpful to sort out
man's creative ideas.  Every thought is not equally valid.  It is time
to use all our thinking tools to address world problems not authority
based religious beliefs.