On Jul 15, 2007, at 11:12 AM, Rory Goff wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2007, at 8:56 PM, off_world_beings wrote:
>
> > This is the tip of the iceberg of the strange history of
> > Freemasonry. I am not interested in this as a conspiracy theory,
but
> > it is some fascinating history.
>

> Fortunately, from the POV of Masonic scholarship--which Europe has
> several endowed chairs for Masonic research at major universities--
> the presentation and arrangements of facts are far from the real
> truth of the matter, which is much less fanciful, but the truth
> (being better than fiction) is IMO much more interesting.
>
> For authentic input on the broader Masonic phenomenon going on
back
> then, check out the work of late great scholar Dame Frances Yates
> like The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age, The Rosicrucian
> Enlightenment--and if you really want to grasp the origins, The
Art
> of Memory (which is on the ancient art of ars memoria). If you'd
like
> to grasp that such sciences existed in medieval Scotland, read
> Scottish professor emeritus David Stevenson's The Origins of
> Freemasonry: Scotland's Century, 1590-1710. These are all modern
> classics.
>
> If you want to grok how Freemasonry helped put an end to the
feudal
> system, check out Born In Blood by Robinson. It also goes on to
show
> how the same principle of universal freedom exemplified by the
craft
> in Europe, was brought to the US.
>
> The great operative (as opposed to speculative) Freemasonic
> monuments, many became the first universities of the western world
> which gave rise to the idea of the arts liberale and free
education
> for all.

YES -- I greatly enjoyed Robinson's book, as well as everything
Frances Yates wrote -- including, also, Theatre of the World,
Shakespeare's Last Plays: A New Approach, and Giordano Bruno and the
Hermetic Tradition.

Haven't read Stevenson yet; thanks for the recommendation :-)

Stevenson's scholarship is the one that actually connected ars memoria to Scottish Freemasonry by finding passing reference to it in the early Schaw Statutes--but he also sees (thanks to Dame Yates) the connection to the neoplatonic hierarchies of Iamblichus' De Mysteriis. That mixture, along with a Christian and a Jewish Kabbalah, was what was to become Europe's divine theurgy: ceremonial magick.