--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, gullible fool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What you report about EtherBun is true of any forum I
> have joined or lurked. And calling a moderator "YOU
> MORON" would get your ID permanently deleted in all of
> them.

Given that we have multiple moderators, in my book, the ethical thing
to do would be to recuse yourself, and defer the issue to Rick --
stating your case and recommendation that the "offender" should be
permanently deleted.

What makes your action so unacceptable, is that you are not applying
the guidelines in a consistent manner. If you felt that a person being
called a moron on FFL was SO grievious that it warranted being banned
for life -- then what actions should be taken for the much grosser
violations of the guuidelines? There are MANY each week. If you were
consistently apply the guidelines and bnnng for life people who more
grossly violated the guielines, you at least would be consistent. But
not fair IMO, a ban for life is not consistent with the offense "you
are a moron". Banning for a week, yes.

So, IMO, your action was not only way to severly, it was a TOTAL abuse
of power, self-serving, because you have NEVER, AFAIR, even suggested
a short term ban of much larger violations of teh guidelines, much
less acted on it.

In that act, you lost all credibility with me. You have probably made
some significant contributions as a moderator, behind the scenes on
technical issues, and threat is appreciated and should be applauded.
However,on policy issues, on implementing the guidelines, your actions
are so aggregious and self-serving abusive, that its hard to imagine
that you don't recognize this and voluntraly step down and recuse your
self from any policy/guidleline moderation. Permanently.

However, that a moderator actually took a step towards enforcing the
guidelines, is a "good" precedent. Abusive, aggregiously unethical in
this case, IMO, but at least a moderator recognized that actions are
sometimes necessary to enforce the guidelines. However, in contrast to
your actions, they need to be applied consistently.

Thats my opinion, YMMV