I find that offensive.

No offense intended. But it did seem counter-intuitive for Free Culture to kill its father. ;-)

Since I brought up patents, I'll talk in terms of patents.
There is a perfectly reasonable case for patent abolition. There are well-known orthodox economists who will argue for it (michele boldrin and david levine, in particular). There are major global campaigns around alternatives to patents applied to medicine (see Jamie Love's CPTech site). There have been repeated studies that show that periods of patent abolition in the past (Holland/ Switzerland) had no kind of adverse economic effects. etc.

Well, to be fair you need to broaden the analysis and ask why intellectual property regimes are so de-rigor at the moment. Holland between 1850 and 1890 was, to be fair, hardly living in an information economy, and nor was Switzerland, which didn't get a patent law till 1887 (although it was extended in 1907 and 1976).

Arguing against Patent's is one thing (this is an opinion), proving that they are unnecessary is quite another. In an economic system whereby profit is linked to the control and ownership of information and knowledge, I cannot see how, without intellectual property protection in some form that profit will be made. Therefore there will be an economic imperative (if not a political one) to instantiate, if not strengthen patent law. And indeed, the historical evidence seems to be that this is indeed the case.

Arguing, on the other hand, about the limits, exceptions and balance between the public good and private interest seems to me, at least, a more cogent and political attainable activity. But as you say, it depends on what Free Culture wants to be -- something I still don't really think it has decided.

You may well disagree with the position, and/or think it unrealistic for FC-UK to support it. But there is no reason to call people who believe patents to be harmful 'idiots', especially when FC-UK has so far been broad enough to contain both points of view. Or to claim some kind of monopoly on 'careful consideration of the pros and cons'.

It is not whether I disagree with it or not, in fact this is really a question of strategy. You see I cannot see how Free Culture can exist without the intellectual property regime. Or rather, that our present understanding of Free Culture is constituted by its Other. That being the case, abolition of intellectual property law is arguing for the abolition of Free Culture itself.