Hi Patti, yes it's definately worth a try with the Purina. Yeah, we have a violent tom cat here and most of us would like to see him pts. He is a wiley beast though. I have never met a mean one besides him. Most are too scared and hungry to be mean. Oh yeah!! Dumping pets? That's how all of this came to be form what I hear. People leave after the summer and they leave these cats behind. Or better yet, when they have kittens in nearby towns, they dump them here because who would notice right? Well, it stinks,IMO.
 I am so happy to have found this group. I have learned more here in one day than I have for 8 months on Petfinder. So much attitude, judgment and criticism there. It can be counterproductive. Thanks again! Renee
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 9:07 PM
Subject: Re: NJ feral group

Renee,
Oh..... I can imagine!  Here I am, feeling a bit overwhelmed 'cause of the feral/strays here (I recently moved), but it's nowhere near the numbers you are dealing with!
I was just "discussing" my group on another list....with food, vetting, etc., it is a financial strain on me, and my numbers are less.  So far, I have not encountered any Felv/FIV positives, but have battled with distemper (2 survivors) and a HBC....
And I have a spay (nice stray....can't believe she ended up on street! Oh yeah, that's right, people here DO DUMP their "pets" like trash), and a neuter, BIG, BIG TOM, that better get his butt in the trap Monday night! )  Going in for the "works" Tuesday, fingers crossed that both are negative.
(Thank god money grows on trees here in Pa.  ............NOT!!!!!

The Delaware group is actually two women that have been tending these feral colonies for years!  They also do all out-of-pocket, low cost program here even cuts cost down for them.
I know some clinic nights they seem to arrive on barely more than a wing and a prayer.

We are also getting hammered with very cold and windy weather.  But, it is that time.  I am also going to be working this weekend "fixing up" my shelters. Just wish I could do more...

I can feel for you concerning Emma.  This summer a feral mom and her kittens were dumped under a neighbors' bush in a box....Mom escaped, I reared the 2 boys.  I did trap mom, named her Charity, had her spayed, tested and then kept her in the barn hoping to be able to socialize her.  (I ended up in hospital from bites when I trapped her.  My fault, not her's. I'd bite a human after being stuffed in a box and thrown out!)
We made some progress, she let me stroke her with her "plume".  But she was miserable being confined.  And one day, she got out and took off.  I was going to re-trap her, but clearly, she was very unhappy confined. She was gone for many weeks, and she has come back. So, at least I know she has a warm, dry place & food.  But, I still worry. Especially seeing fatalities around here....busy roads.

Hopefully you will have good luck with Emma.  And, turn to Hideyo - she is the list's expert on ferals, and much more. She is a wonderful, wise and compassionate woman. She will help you out any way she can.
She gave you a good tip with the Purina info.  Worth a try, huh?

Wishing you all the best,
Patti