Renee,
You are so very welcome.  How nice to be someone's angel!  I'm glad some of my suggestions made sense to you and that my moral support helped you feel less alone.  This group is full of angels, as you've now found out.  As I said before, I'm betting that Emma, (and probably her best friend too), will make the transition to house cat pretty quickly.  You guys already have a connection.  I understand the reluctance to "force" the issue, but most cats are not good with change of any kind and Emma might be inclined to keep the status quo without some stronger persuasion, (she has no idea how wonderfully her life will change!).  Her short life has been all about simple survival, getting through the day alive, that's all she'll be thinking about.  Ya gotta be a little pushy so she can see for herself all the benefits of being with you.  You won't be sorry, once she understands that you are her 'angel', you'll have a devoted friend for life.  If you've never trapped before, I can understand your feelings of discomfort with the prospect.  Look at it this way, yes they're frightened, yes it is unpleasant for them, but it's a necessary trade off for making their lives sooo much better.  It's like dealing with visits to the dentist.  Pleasant?  No.  But so much better to endure the momentary discomfort and keep your teeth!  The truly feral cats that you trap will be so much better off getting neutered/shots.  The colony will not only stop multiplying, but as long as they have food and water provided, they will stop fighting and live much more harmonious lives, (having food provided and being neutered eliminates the reasons for fighting, hence cutting down on the transmission of disease!).  Continuing to feed a feral colony, while well intended, is only half the solution.  I have had the misfortune of seeing the suffering and miserable deaths of sweet innocent kittens (most kittens born in the wild do not make it to their 1st birthday).  You have the power to stop some of this suffering!  We humans put these poor cats in the position of surviving on their own, only we humans have the power to stop the cycle.  Get with one of the rescue organizations in your area, (Jenn sent you a wonderful list of links that will surely turn up some help for you).  Let them know that you are willing to do the work, but you don't have the funds necessary for such a large undertaking.  Hopefully you'll not only get financial assistance, but find a new friendship in someone who will help you with the physical tasks as well.  Patti is right, you don't have to handle the ferals at all.  You trap them, take them to the vet still in the trap and bring them home while they are still asleep in a carrier.  Transfer them to a larger pen where they can recuperate from their surgery in safety and then release them a couple days later.  If you trap someone that's friendly, hopefully the rescue you've found will be able to foster them and find them a home.  You can do it girl.  Sorry this is so long.  Can you tell how near and dear to me every feral in the world is?!  Please let us know how you are doing.  Whatever the depth of your undertaking to help these guys is so very appreciated, esp by any of the cats you help!
Nina

Renee M. Simon wrote:
Oh Nina, Thank you, thank you, thank you! YOU HAVE BEEN MY ANGEL TODAY. i was feeling so frustrated and your words really soothed my soul. I completely believe that the angels send certain kitties my way. Last summer a feral close to death arrived on my doorstep. After vetting and testing, we took him in. He is sleeping next to me now. I found him collapsed on the grave of my beloved Miss Kitty.

I really loved your ideas about shelter. I think I will open my crawl space tomorrow. I can't believe I didn't think of that! And this is farm land, so free pallets are always around! Maybe my hubby could get some heavy totes from work and we can use them. See, all I had to do was ask and wonderful help arrived. I cannot thank you enough! you have just eased my mind tremendously. At least I have a good start and something constructive to do tommorrow for Emma and Abby, as well as the others who live in the marsh.

Three days ago, someone who was feeding one all summer decided to take him to the vet in hopes of adopting him. He tested positive, but was asymptomatic. I do not know if they kept him or pts. My boy Jasper was tested twice and was negative, so we were lucky. I currently have 4 cats and 2 dogs. I have over 3000sq ft so they all have their own places. My hope was to bring Emma into the house, but she seems to feral to me and I am not sure she would make the transition.She is about 2 yrs old I think. I don't know if she is positive or not and I don't have a room to keep her isolated safely. I am waiting for divine inspiration on that one!
I am also going to write to my local newspapers and see if they can help,maybe an article? I will also post an ad to see if anyone can donate supplies. It is a start. I have lived here for 7 yrs. I am not sure why I felt compelled to do something now and not earlier. All I can do is my best. Emma really stole my heart. I really feel a connection to her. I pray for her every night and during the day I try to learn how to help and what else I need to learn. Low cost spay here is running about $75 a cat, which is hard for me to manage for more than a few. And certainly not for 30- 40.

Thanks so much for being my angel today. I went from tears to really feeling like it is not hopeless. I appreciate the kindness you have shown me. Have a wonderful night! Renee