It's not that it is a symptom of FeLV, but it can be a symptom of mediastinal lymphoma (lymphoma that starts in the lymph node in the chest), to which FeLV+ cats are prone (but other cats get it as well).  The thing I do not like about what the vet did is that if it is mediastinal lymphoma, that tends to respond very well to chemotherapy, especially if the cat is not FeLV+ (some cats go into complete remission for years), but giving strong steroids before chemo is not recommended because it can reduce the effectiveness of chemo.

I would take him to an internist at a clinic or hospital ASAP to get an actual diagnosis, which can be done by ultrasound and sometimes biopsy.

Michelle