Hey gang,
Thanks for all the encouragement about Starman. I have heard everything you're saying about FIV kitties before. I'm just so paranoid about subjecting any of my guys to the remotest possibility of danger. You guys know how darn protective I am. I would be hesitant to introduce any cat that didn't listen to me and was showing hostile tendencies toward my brood. They were here first and my mad house is stressful enough as it is! Of course I intend to have Starman neutered, no one leaves my house intact if I can help it! We'll see if he settles down enough for me to trust him around my other sweethearts. About 10 minutes ago I was petting Star on the shelf outside my bedroom window, (within the habitat). I guess I got to familiar, I'm not sure what set him off, but he bit me a good one. Broke the skin and it's leaving a bruise. I hissed at him to show my displeasure and then scratched my head wondering what I did to bring that on. Maybe I just got him over-excited and had let my guard down enough to not be observant enough to notice. Little dickens, correction, big dickens! This doesn't change my attitude about him in the slightest, I'm just reminded to not take his "taming" for granted yet. Please send calming thoughts to my big galoot.
With a throbbing arm,
Nina

P.S. to Tonya,
No, I didn't post about Star on the AC list. I answered someone else's post about a feral she was trying to help. I wanted her to know that not everyone agrees that ferals should be left to fend for themselves because 'it's God's way'. The last I heard from that lady, she had the kitten in her bathroom and was doing her best to become friends with him.
Nina

catatonya wrote:

And Nina,
Is this the guy you posted about on AC? I was given the same website about not 'interfering' with ferals because they have their own purpose. It's interesting. But if Starman is throwing himself at your window and crying for you I think it's because he is meant to be with YOU. I know we ALL have to turn away cats every day. I get the emails every day of who found what. What cats are being euthanized that day in metro shelters, etc..... I'm no AC. But when one 'finds me' I feel that he/she found me for a reason and they are staying. Please at least give him a try if you possibly can. Brutus had huge jowls too. The vet called them 'shields'. He said Brutus had the biggest ones he'd ever seen and he couldn't believe he would fit in the cat carrier because of his size. lol. When he meowed it sounded like a growl more than a meow. The jowls go down after they get neutered by the way. Anyway, again, I don't know your situation. And I'm ashamed to say when I first brought Brutus home I wouldn't hardly pet him because I was afraid of him and his head was so gross. But looking back now, I can't even imagine not having had him in my life. I would gladly give anything to have him back even though we're overcrowded here. And I truly don't think you'd need to do any long term confinement. I'd put him in a separate room until everyone's used to that. Then I'd cage him where everyone else is just in case someone tries to fight. But I don't think he will after a little time. Big males like that have LOTS of testosterone and it takes a while to get it out of their system. Once it's gone I don't think you'll have any problems. If you DO keep him, watch out for the urine. Just ask Brenda! lol. The first time Brutus used a litterbox, and he did use it correctly.......... it smelled up the entire house! And he was out on the screened porch. I had to change the box every time he went until the smell got better. The same thing happened when I fostered Lovey for Brenda. But these big, bad, bubba cats? It's STRONG! Get him to drink as much as possible and flush, flush, flush it out of his system! No pressure here. lol.