Well, let your bad feeling leave you :)  I forgot all about Drs. Foster & Smith (sorry to have bothered anyone with that question now), but I do know of them.  I guess I was just looking for a location to actually GO to and get it.  Also, I do not buy my cat food at Wal-Mart; I am currently buying from a specialty store.  I know the other stuff is garbage, and also know to avoid by-products, bone meals, corn, and additives, and that taurine is an essential nutrient.  I just don't remember seeing any good vitamin supplements at the pet store, either, but perhaps I'm wrong...I've been to the naturapet website looking at Felidae and Calif. Naturals, but that was just dry food.  Also, Calif. Nat. has phenyalanine in it, which is known to cause tumors.  I will go back and check out the moist food at their site and the other you gave, but I'm still not sure I understand how the cat will get enough protein when the percentage is so much lower.  Will I simply feed more of it to make up the difference?
Thanks for all your guys' input!

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:36 PM
Subject: Re: (no subject)

Oh, the canned food thing... I have a bad feeling that since the only place you knew to buy vitamin supplements was Walmart, you may actually be feeding that stuff they call "cat food" that you can buy in Walmart or the grocery store. That stuff is NOT any good at all. Friskies, Cat Chow, Alley Cat, etc, all TRASH; Pro Plan, Iams, Hill's, all only one step above TRASH. You should only buy pet food at a vet's office or a specialty pet supply store. Look for the "super premium" brands. A can of cat food should NEVER cost less than $0.75 for a 5.5 oz can (most good ones are near a dollar a can or more), or you aren't buying good quality. Friskies, Purina, Fancy Feast, those are all BAD foods. Read the ingredients labels, the first ingredient should always be some kind of MEAT (not meat by products, or bone meal, or anything except MEAT). Cat food should never contain any corn. Cat food should ideally not contain anything you can't pronounce, unless it's a vitamin or mineral (carrageenan, guar gum, BHA, BHT, etc, all not so great wet cat food ingredients). Sometimes you can't get around the guar gum, just look for ones with LESS of it). Make sure that any cat food you feed has TAURINE in it. Even the super premium brands, in wet food, they will be lower protein than dry foods. This is due to the amount of water used to make it. It's not any less quality of protein, it's just watered down. Cats fed all wet food diets will tend to drink less water on the side, cats that eat all dry food diets will drink more. It works out about the same in the end. Most people choose to feed both dry and wet, others choose all dry (usually due to convenience), others choose all wet (cats tend to prefer wet food, many owners claim it's more natural since raw dead animals are very wet by nature). Still other owners choose to feed all raw diets of REAL dead animals, the MOST natural diet for any carnivore, such as a cat. Lot's of us just don't have that much time, that's my excuse anyways. I feed free choice dry food in an auto-feeder and give wet food as a treat only upon occasion. But I work two jobs, and just don't have much time to do "what's best". It's all what WORKS for you, and what your cat does the best on. It's very trial&error. :)

Here is the brands I feed, their website is very good, you can view each variety of cat food, and read all the ingredients, and nutritional info for each one. They even let you compare four kinds side by side:
Their Innova EVO is the highest protein cat food they make (I personally feed the California Natural brand):

Other good brands:
Wellness:
Chicken Soup:
Felidae:
Wysong:
(there are others, just read labels)

If you don't have a good vet store or pet supply store near you, this is a good online pet food store:
http://petfooddirect.com/store/  (you can look up many brands and compare on this site, a wonderful resource)

Just so you know, there are super premium cat food brands that aren't very good too, so you have to read labels. One to avoid is Flint River... it's all corn and by-products, yet very expensive.
I hope that helps!

Jenn

PLEASE Adopt a cat from Little Cheetah Cat Rescue!!!
http://ucat.us/adopt.html

DONATE: We could really use a power saw (for construction), a digital camera (for pictures) and HOMES for CATS!

Checked by AVG Free Edition.