Michelle,
   Never doubt that animals know our thoughts and intentions, that groundhog knew you were trying to help her and appreciated it.  Yes dying in the woods would have been a natural event for her but you showed her a side to humans she would otherwise not have known, that many do care about other living creatures.  What you did was a compassionate, loving act for another living creature and that kind of gesture is always appreciated.   And you did take her body back to her home in the end so you did all you could possibly do.

The vet thing also disturbs me, what are these doctors thinking??   The rehabbers are always hard to get a hold of, I remember one time I heard a coyote in the woods behind the houses across the road from me, It was crying and I just knew it was trapped.  I called all the rehabbers and animal control, animal control would do nothing and the rehabbers all had answering machines on.  None of them ever got back to me.   I never did find it and the crying stopped so I don't know what happened to it.
--

Belinda
happiness is being owned by cats ...

Be-Mi-Kitties
http://bemikitties.com

http://adopt.bemikitties.com

FeLV Candlelight Service
http://bemikitties.com/cls

http://HostDesign4U.com

BMK Designs [non-profit animals websites]
http://bmk.bemikitties.com