aw, amy, i'm so sorry you lost your dane. of course dogs are just as important members of our families as our kitties are, and i bet that the cats DO miss him dearly, too.

if this is your first baby, i would probably think that you might just want to wait until you get used to what changes that brings to your life and routine!

at the same time, i'm thinking that, as others have said, you're open to an older dog, there are probably dane rescues that would be THRILLED to have an experienced home for one of their charges! rescue transport is almost always available for critters not in your own area, and i'm sure there's a number of folks on this list who are active in rescue who could help you find a responsible rescue to work with in finding a new addition....

MC