 From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
 Sent: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 9:08 AM
 Subject: Re: OT Big problem, help

 On 11/24/06, ETrent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:     I know it isn't a perfect
world...and I totally support the ideal of rescuing kitties and making their
lives better...I just wish that there was some kind of guideline that ensured
the welfare of the rescued kitties. My whole experience has left me very
resentful of cat rescues...and I am hoping to get some feedback from those of
you who are involved in this sort of thing. I realize that I am myopic and
perhaps you can help me see more clearly.            This certainly sounds bad.
There is a rescue around here that I think of as...well, questionable. They
take dogs out of the pound every day and take them around and display them in
front of local PetSmarts (which in and of itself is a pretty good idea, I
think). The ones who aren't adopted go back to the pound at night:(.
Unfortunately several of these dogs have been adopted out and come down with
distemper and parvo. This made the local news and the owner of this group
stated that people were taking a risk if they adopted and they should be aware
of that. I wasn't thrilled with that statement either.    BUT this group has
done a lot of good, even if I am not thrilled with their methods. Lots of dogs
have found forever homes that would otherwise have been killed. Same with the
group I am now having problems with. They've rehomed 5,000 cats.    I'm just
trying to make it my policy to not verbally run down other rescue groups or
expend my efforts trying to get them shut down. I'm in this to help cats, not
get involved in politics. I have to remind myself of that just about daily. My
model is Best Friends in Kaneb, Utah, and they didn't get to where they are
today by spending all their time trash talking other rescues (not that I am
suggesting you are trash talking, this is just something I see on a daily basis
from people involved in rescue - they'll tell people "Oh, don't adopt a cat
from x rescue..they are a "bad rescue").    Anyway, if you do not support this
group's practices, don't give them any money. Don't let them guilt you into
giving them money either. If you want to keep your money local, I would find
another rescue group. Check them out before you give them money. Cats should
not be taken to adoption days when ill - that's bad practice. If they want
people to give them money, the donors should be allowed to examine the living
conditions of the cats. I let people come by (with reasonable notice, I don't
want people knocking on my door 24/7 or dumping off cats) and check out my
babies' living conditions.    I send a complete copy of all medical records
home with every cat I adopt, always. I get paperwork from my vet and put it in
the cat's file. I am not sure if he would release the paperwork to an adopter
or not, but it is my job to do that not his.    If you don't mind sending the
money you have earmarked to save cats out of state, I would recommend checking
out Best Friends in Kaneb, Utah. http://www.bestfriends.org

 http://astore.amazon.com/rescuties-20
AOL Mail and more.