From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, January 28, 2007 12:54 PM
To: felvtalk@felineleukemia.org
Subject: Re: Please pray for Lucy

I know. And we are treating for toxo, which does not really seem to be
working so far. Next step is probably to treat for small cell lymphoma
and fip inflammation at the same time with leukeran. But that suppresses
the bone marrow and wbc, so my vets do not want to put her on it until
we have completely given up on the abx working.  The only way to really
diagnose her would be exploratory surgery with multiple tissue biopsies
(they can definitively diagnose fip if they find it in a tissue biopsy--
that is how they do it in necropsies as well), and I do not want to put
Lucy through exploratory surgery because she is FeLV+, anemic, weak, and
almost seemed like she would not recover from the ultrasound/biopsy--
just sat in sick cat position staring into space for half a day
afterwards and would not look at me or eat until the evening. So I am
afraid the surgery could kill her.  So I am trying to treat for the
treatable things they might find in a biopsy, which I was told would
only be a) infection, b) cancer, or c) fungal infection. We are treating
for toxo, an infection, right now.  If it is cancer, the only really
treatable kind is lymphoma, which the oncologist does not think she has
because the enlarged lymph nodes in her abdomen did not have any
lymphoma cells and neither did the fluid in her belly.  But I think if
we give up on the abx, the next step is leukeran in case it is lymphoma,
since it is also used to treat fip-related inflammation.  Fungal
infection seems least likely and the medication apparently makes them
feel sick, so that is probably last, unless the internist decides
otherwise.

So I have not given up hope. But when she is so tired, and her pcv is
still going down, and her belly keeps getting bigger, it is frightening.
That is why I ask for prayer.

That said, I put her collar on her, with the bells, and asked her if she
wanted to go outside. She just sat there and looked at me, so I went
into the kitchen. When I looked up she was walking through the kitchen
to the back door. I let her out and she walked around a while, jumped up
on a stone wall, walked around some more. She meowed strangely a few
times. When well, she is quite talkative, but some of these meows
sounded different and I got scared. But she then climbed up on top of
the picnic table in the sun. I plugged in her heating pad out there and
she got on it, and we spent about an hour outside in the (cold) sun.
She purred when we pet her.  I eventually brought her in because the
clouds covered the sun and her ears got ice cold, and she meowed at me
the whole time I was taking her in because she did not want to go. Once
in, she ate some, and then curled up on her heating pad. She rolled on
her back for a while like she was really happy, now is fast asleep on
her side. So better afternoon than I was expecting! Perhaps because of
the prayers! Or perhaps because she heard a mouse this morning and that
excited her. Or perhaps if I had asked her any of these past days if she
wanted to go out and put her collar on, perhaps she would have responded
the same way. I don't know. But I am glad and grateful for it.  Please
send prayers.

Thanks,

Michelle

In a message dated 1/28/2007 1:05:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,