Deb,
I'm pleased to hear you have potential adopters for your boys. I'm hoping that someone will adopt them together. Tell those folks to come join us here!

Forgive me for responding without reading your previous posts, you may already have addressed this, but... I am one of the people that have mixed negs and pos together, (with the negs being vaccinated). I have done this for years without any of my negs turning pos, but I understand what a difficult decision it is to make. In my case, I had brought in a litter of felv bottle babies and didn't find out they were pos until they had been mixing freely with the rest of the household for months. It still gave me pause, (because the vets and the literature suggested segregating, hell, they suggested euthanizing too), but it would have been hard on everyone concerned to separate them at that point. One of my cats at the time was a born-in-the-wild feral that had had no shots at all and had mixed right into the litter as if it were her own. (She tested neg later, boy did I sweat that one). I took a leap of faith and followed my heart and kept everyone together. I felt fairly safe in making this decision, (as far as the guilt/fear factor goes), because everyone had already been exposed. Perhaps explaining it in that way might make your son more receptive to the idea? For Heaven's sake, you've already re-exposed your neg cats with last night's visiting. I mean no disrespect, but it seems a little like locking the barn door after the horse has escaped, (again).

Everyone loved our felv babies. I don't think there was an animal in the house that hadn't spent very intimate time with them. I recently lost a stray-turned-resident with both fiv and felv. During his last weeks I cringed everytime he sneezed felv germs all over the house. I haven't had the others tested since Spencer passed, (I will if anyone gets symptoms of illness), but I'm confident that no one has contracted felv.

I would never judge anyone's decisions about mixing. We all understand both sides of the argument too well. I can hear how dedicated you are to helping these babies and I thank you for everything you are doing for them. I just wanted to throw my two cents in because I can just picture that little girl's face when she was closed off from the family again. None of the decisions we are forced to make are easy, and all too few results of those decisions are truly in our control.
Blessings to you and your family,
Nina

Deb Stockbridge wrote:
OMG Phaewryn, YOU ARE A GODSEND!! You posted my boys last night and already I have a home for Bruschi and possibly one for Jadon as well! Someone very close by me saw them on Petfinder and fell in love with both but thinks Bruschi will be the perfect match for her FELV+ female 7 month old kitten so that's who she chose and she might know of a friend who can also take Jadon. I'm meeting with her on Friday and will know then if both boys have a new home. I'm just crying over having to do this so soon as I never expected this quick of a response but also crying for the joy of having potential homes where my boys can have free roam of their new homes and interact with people like they were used to here before I had to keep them confined. I will let you know Friday how things go.....keep your fingers crossed all goes well for me and my boys! I just can't thank you enough for your help and it has made dealing with all this that much easier to handle.....one step at a time:) BTW....after reading a few of the emails from others about how they mix their positives and negatives with pretty good luck I tried to do this last night after finally talking my Son into letting us try it with one at a time. All was well and boy was our girl happy and meowing up a storm for the first couple hours and we were just all so happy to have her with us again UNTIL later that night she had a coughing spell and it woke me up as well as my Son and my Son started crying and asking where our two negative kits were and it freaked him out more than I expected and I had to confine her with the two boys again:( I have to admit it scared me as well and I know it would take some time to get used to but I think with every sneeze or cough we would just think what it could be doing to our healthy cats and I just don't think I can put my Son through that again. I really commend all of you who can manage a positive and negative household and if it was just me and my husband I think I could eventually get used to the idea but just not right now with my Son here with us. I love ALL my babies and it would be ideal to keep them all if I could let them live together but for now it's best I find homes for these special kits. You are all just wonderful people helping these animals with health issues and though I can't foster them in my own home , if I can help in any other way, with transporting or any other aspect of rescue please let me know:) Take Care, Deb