Anita --

As Nina will attest, over on the feral_cats yahoogroup this is referred
to as "being vanilla" and has been proven as one of the best ways to
deal with ignorant and/or hostile people.  Hard as it is, maybe it IS
just a case of getting off on the wrong foot, maybe when not assailed,
as he would consider it, by cat poop and made to feel defensive about it
this guy is actually a nice person.  Or he could be a total waste of
skin.  But either way, maybe you can win him over and keep your kidlets
safe.  Possibly, he may even tell people, hey, I've got these *cat*
people living next door -- but they seem to be okay.  Although it
doesn't sound to me like your husband was actually *being* rude -- I
know how *I* would respond to "I'll kill your cats" -- it would be cool
to defuse the hostility and have neighbors you can actually stand.  Do
you think it would be possible for both of you to bring over a welcome
plate of cookies or something, and tell them you'd like to sit down and
discuss all the stuff Nina mentioned?  You could mention in a
non-accusatory way that the other neighbor liked the cats so it may take
you a little while to figure out what to do, and ask them to bear with
you.

Oh, and document everything.  For now, write down the date and content
of the conversations you and your husband have had with the neighbor
already.  Write down what you initially did to placate the guy.  And
later, even if your vanilla meeting goes well, write down everything
that is said and all the actions you subsequently take.  And continue to
document any interactions between the cats and the neighbors.  That way
if, God forbid, something does happen to your cats, you'll have
something to show the cops about the situation.  I really really hope it
doesn't come to that.  Best of luck.  I've had crappy neighbors in my
time, and know how worrisome that can be.

Diane R.